cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - New to the community? Learn how to post a question and get help from PTC and industry experts! X

mksAPIViewer vs. CLI

nborrerojr.
7-Bedrock

mksAPIViewer vs. CLI

If I run this command in mksAPIViewer, I get an exception. If i just run the simple CLI it works fine. Any idea how I can troubleshoot this? Is it a server configuration thing? I've removed the hostname from the string.

mksAPIViewer Command:

.\mksAPIViewer.exe --iphostname=<address> --ipport=7001 --namedsession --sessionuser=user --sessionpassword=pass im reports

Response:

App. Name = im

Command Name = reports

APIException:

Class = CommandCancelledException

Message =

Field:

Name = exception-name

Data Type = wchar_t *

Value = common.CommandCancelled

Exit Code = 2

I can run si about and that will execute just fine in the mksAPIViewer. Also, if I just run si reports (not using mksAPIViewer) it'll return the reports without any problem.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hi Nolin,

I was able to get this to work by specifying the connection hostname /port and user name /password as additional parameters after issuing the ‘im reports’ command:

.\mksapiviewer --iphostname=<hostname> --ipport=7001 --namedsession --sessionuser=tester --sessionpassword=password im reports --hostname=<hostname> --port=7001 --user=tester --password=password

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

Hello Nolin,

It looks like the --ipport flag is the culprit. Remove it and the command should complete successfully.

I would also open a case with PTC Technical Support to report this and get an RFC posted if one does not already exist.

If i remove the --ipport flag I don't get anything back. I tried running both si about and im reports.

I was just in the process of editing my post to mention that. As it turns out, the command worked for me because I already had a successful API connection so it cached the port for me. When I have no existing API connection and remove the --iplocal flag, it gives me an error about invalid credentials.

There is defintely something screwy with mksapiviewer here so a case would be great to find the defect. In the meantime, you could try using a local client integration point for mksapiviewer:

mksapiviewer --iplocal im reports

I just opened a new case. Case #12355205

Hi Nolin,

I was able to get this to work by specifying the connection hostname /port and user name /password as additional parameters after issuing the ‘im reports’ command:

.\mksapiviewer --iphostname=<hostname> --ipport=7001 --namedsession --sessionuser=tester --sessionpassword=password im reports --hostname=<hostname> --port=7001 --user=tester --password=password

Stephen,

Thank you for looking into this. Your solution works for me as well. Is this the way that the command string is supposed to be or is this a work around? Could something be a little off with our server? We do not have a production environement so everything is new. We only have a test environment setup. Is there something that we could have missed? It seems awkward to have to specify a username, password, and host name twice.

Thanks!

Hi Nolin

I would say it's working as designed, although it could be a little more intuitive.

The mksAPIViewer needs the connection information in two contexts: for establishing the integration point, and to execute a command against a running Integrity Server. I'd agree it's a little akward, but in my experiences being explicit with the API Viewer is usually necessary in order to get the correct results. If anything, we could report a more meaningful message to offer some clues as to why the command isn't running.

Top Tags