cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Want the oppurtunity to discuss enhancements to PTC products? Join a working group! X

"Dynamic" / user defined pick fields?

nxpet
12-Amethyst

"Dynamic" / user defined pick fields?

Hi there,

is it possible to have a field that is like a pick field (drop down menu), but the content of the pick list is "dynamic". Means: a user can add some text (either directly in the field or somewhere else) and the pick list gets a new entry. So, the pick list is not pre-defined, but adds up every time someone adds a text.

Regards

Timo

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hi @nxpet,

Best solution for such requirement seems to be the IBPL field.

Whenever user want to add new value to the picklist, he/she need to create a new object of that type and it's value will appear in the picklist(Dropdown) and also this will be helpful if user wants to remove any value.

Regards,

Chirag Agarwal 

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
kjain-2
15-Moonstone
(To:nxpet)

Hi @nxpet,

May i know where you are planning to capture those pick values from User like where user will input those values ?

Some Integrity Object or outside in a form or any other ?

Regards,

Kapil

nxpet
12-Amethyst
(To:kjain-2)

It's not yet defined. Depends on the possible solutions that exist for my problem.

Best solution from user view: The drop-down / pick field itself; so either you take one value from the pick or insert a new value as in a text field. I assume, that this is not possible. So an entry in an object might also work.

Do you know a solution that might work?

Regards

Timo

Hi @nxpet,

Best solution for such requirement seems to be the IBPL field.

Whenever user want to add new value to the picklist, he/she need to create a new object of that type and it's value will appear in the picklist(Dropdown) and also this will be helpful if user wants to remove any value.

Regards,

Chirag Agarwal 

kjain-2
15-Moonstone
(To:chirag_kpit)

Hi @chirag_kpit,

Might be it may work, but then i am little worry about performance because if for adding one pick value we are creating one object that leads to performance issue...
So i suggest here creating one single object just for capturing pick value from Users and on back end a trigger may help running CMD command to add and remove pick value.

Grube,

Kapil 

nxpet
12-Amethyst
(To:chirag_kpit)

Hi @chirag_kpit: thanks for your suggestion. I am not yet familiar with the IBPL field, but I sounds like this could be the solution. I will do a test, when I find time for that. Thanks!

Timo

Hi @nxpet,

I too agree with @chirag_kpit comments. The IBPL fields are the best solution. We use to maintain these IBPL fields for user to have his own pick fields in required project. Rather than other common pick fields, these free picks are flexible to add entries by developer itself. 

The method is, you have to create IBPL attribute in fields and then this IBPL attribute needs to be mapped to Type (as similar to Release Item). Then this will be flexible to select via Item -> Create menu.

To avoid creation of huge set of picks, an access shall be restricted for Integrity Manager CCB members and hence no need to worry about huge set of creation that affects the performance. When developer needs any picks, then manager could help in creation of pick entry with his access.

Kind Regards,

Sathish Kumar

nxpet
12-Amethyst
(To:skamaraj)

Hello all, thank you very much. Finally I found enough time for testing and the IBPL does fulfill our requirements. There is one additional idea that came up, if this can be solved as well, it would be perfect.

There is a IBPL field "Affected Component" that uses as backing type the type "Component" and as item identifier in the pick list the "Text" field. Additionally to the "Text" field the type "Component" uses the "Assigned User" and a "Part Number" field.

Two examples for type "Component"
- Text = "Bracket", Part Number = "1234", Assigned User = "John"
- Text = "Screw", Part Number = "1010", Assigned User = "Franz"

The "Affected Component" IBPL is visible in the type "Requirement". The value of the IBPL are "Bracket" und "Screw".

Lets assume we choose now the "Bracket", then we want two additional fields (in type Requirement) to be automatically filled out with "1234" (Part Number) and "John" (Assigned User). If someone changes in type "Component" the assigned user from "John" to "Alex", this should be synchronized in the Requirement as well.

Is this possible? Or is there any other similar solution? The main idea is to handle data centralized in one item "Component" and then show/use the fields in another type according to the selected IBPL pick value.

Thanks, Timo

nxpet
12-Amethyst

Anyone? Thx

skamaraj
11-Garnet

Hello @nxpet,

This shall be possible via Triggers, but this will slowdown the performance a little. The trigger should be of dynamic type, which means whenever you change the pick value the constrain have to be applied.

Also note down, this constrains could be set at document type level and not possible for specific projects or documents. You could frame such triggers with the help of PTC support.

Thanks and Regards,

Sathish Kumar

Top Tags