cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you get called away in the middle of writing a post? Don't worry you can find your unfinished post later in the Drafts section of your profile page. X

Add items to Create Related Item

nborrerojr.
7-Bedrock

Add items to Create Related Item

What determines what item or document types are available to the "Create Related Item" button? For example, with Test Objective you can create a related ALM_Test Objective when you click the little chain link button. How would you add or remove something from this? I created a new relationship between a Test Objective and another item type but the only button that is enabled for that relationship is the Add button which asks for the ID of an existing item.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Unfortunately creating a Document item from the Create Related... button is not yet possible. A product enhancement request (RFC) exists for this functionality so please open a case and request to have your organization attached. Details of the request can be found in this article.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
KaelLizak
14-Alexandrite
(To:nborrerojr.)

Hello Nolin,

If you configured the relationship to allow for that relationship between a Test Objective and the other type, then that should show up on that relationship field when editing the Test Objective, provided the user ID you are using is able to create/edit the other type.

Reasons you might not be able to create the other type include:

• The user ID does not have permission to transition from the Unspecified to the initial state
  • The user ID does not have permission to view a field with is mandatory on the initial state, especially if it is the backwards relationship from the other type to the Test Objective
  • The user ID does not have permission to view the related type
  • The relationship actually does not support any other type being related to the Test Objective
  • The backwards relationship is not visible on the related type

These are all simple "gotchas" that come up often, even with experienced administrators. I suspect this list is not comprehensive, but should get you most of the way towards figuring this out.

Regards,

Kael

Kind Regards,
Kael Lizak

Senior Technical Support Engineer
PTC Integrity Lifecycle Manager

I am able to create the related item separately and then go back and add it as a related item. I am still unable to create a related item directly from the parent. I believe I've checked everything you have mentioned and they are all complete. Any idea what else could be preventing this?

Thanks,

Nolin

If I add an ALM_Change Order to the relationship (just to test it), then that enables the ability to create a related item. I still cannot create the document that I want to have as the related item though.

I determined that the issue was that I want a Document (Segment) to be added to the relationship and not just an Item. Is there a way I can still have it allow a Document to be created as a related item? I don't understand why it's limited.

Message was edited by: Nolin Borrero Jr.

Unfortunately creating a Document item from the Create Related... button is not yet possible. A product enhancement request (RFC) exists for this functionality so please open a case and request to have your organization attached. Details of the request can be found in this article.

Joseph,

Thank you for the info. I've never done that before. I just want to make sure I do this correctly. Do I simply put in the case "Please add my company to RFC 97654"? Also, we are using Integrity 10.5. Would this be released as a hotfix for 10.5? Or would it go into a future build like 10.7 (if that's the next one)?

Thank you,

Nolin

Hi Nolin,

Yes you can simply ask to be attached using that RFC number, though it would be useful to include a short description (or perhaps a link to this community thread) as PTC Technical Support usually likes to verify that the RFC will suit your business needs. I can already say with certainty this is the RFC for you, so little work would be required for whoever is assigned to the case.

As for scheduling that request for a future release, it is not assigned to a particular release yet but our Product Management teams may commit it to a development sprint if it fits a theme they are planning for a release. Integrity 10.7 is our next release planned for March 31st, 2015 but unfortunately I cannot say with any certainty whether it would be picked-up for that release.

Copy that. Thank you. I created case 12294014.

For the release, I didn't mean specifically 10.7. I just meant generically a hotfix for an existing release or included in a future release.

Integrity hotfixes are reserved for mission-critical defects which affect performance, stability, or data corruption so a hotfix would not be the appropriate vehicle to indicate desire for this functionality. Having your company attached to the RFC is like a "vote" for that request and when our PM teams look for new features to put into a release they take into account the number of customers attached. They try to plan work which will deliver the most value to our customer base so this is the best way to push for the request.

I hope that gives you some insight into our internal processes.

Top Tags