We have a pretty complicated export that we do to Word that involves a custom post processor that we've created. We run into the same issue where we make an insignificant change to the template but it completely breaks the export. It ends up being due to Word adding something to the XML that's not necessarily visible in Word itself. One trick I use is unzipping the docx file and then opening up the document.xml file to search for any strange formatting that shouldn't be there. We also have templates we use that kick out individual table rows that Word will merge upon opening it.
I often have to go to the XML directly to clean up templates. After you've done it a few times it gets pretty straight forward. Not sure if this will help you or not but I figured I'd post this just in case since it sounds like you're running into the same issues as us.
It worked in my machine too perfectly and the way exactly output should. Looks like Word version issue as of now i am also using Word 16 , May be you can give a try..
Hi @nborrerojr.: Thanks for your hint. I compared the XML of a working template with one version that doesn't (I just changed the color of a "command-only" line). At the first glance I couldn't find anything, that causes the behaviour. But I am not quite sure, since I am not familiar with this Word XML.
Anyway, I think I found out, that the Word 2013 causes the behaviour. Yesterday I had the chance to test at home with my Word 2016. I took a template, that had those problems and opened it in Word 2016. First I went back to the normal formatting styles by using "ctrl + space". Then I reformatted everything and I also applied coloring to the "command-only" lines. This only resulted usually before in empty lines. The result was as expected, there were no unwanted (=colored) empty lines anymore.
I did two quick check with two templates with Word 2016. Both worked well without empty lines. So from this first quick test it seems, that Word 2013 caused this behaviour. I will ask company IT for the Word 2016 version and will do more testing afterwards. But for now I think this solves my problem.