cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - When posting, your subject should be specific and summarize your question. Here are some additional tips on asking a great question. X

Logging of CLI commands

Eric1
1-Newbie

Logging of CLI commands

Hi,

Is it possible to configure server logging to log received CLI commands, e.g. im viewissue --hostname=ALMT 75941 ? This will be for 10.3 which we are in the process of upgrading to. Did our testing on 2009 SP6.

Thanks,

Eric

3 REPLIES 3
mrump
14-Alexandrite
(To:Eric1)

Hi Eric,

IMHO the server is not capable to recognize whether the calling operation is a CLI call or from a client's GUI (the GUI is merely a wrapper around the CLI).

You might use the AUDIT LOG that is able to write a "protocol" of almost any action on the server.

As this might impact your over all performance you should definitely discuss this with PTC service.

HTH Matthias

Eric1
1-Newbie
(To:mrump)

Hi Matthias,

Thanks for the reply. Our IT guy is opening a ticket with PTC to get their input.

Thanks,
Eric

JoeBartlett
21-Topaz I
(To:Eric1)

While Audit Logging can keep a list of the operations you configure to be tracked, Mattias is correct that there is no separation of CLI vs GUI operations. In the experiences I have had with some of our customers, their IT people were more concerned with being able to see who performed what action rather than what interface they were using.

If this is the same in your case, I would suggest the possiblity of installing PSM (PTC System Monitor) on the Integrity Server which collects information about the Integrity Server (users performing operations, resource usage, notifications of certain thresholds, and more). PTC provides this utility as a free offering, though it is an enterprise application and would also need its own server/database platform. You can contact PTC Integrity Support to get more details.

Joe Bartlett

Senior Technical Support Engineer

Top Tags