cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Your Friends List is a way to easily have access to the community members that you interact with the most! X

Sharing an item link (both GUI link and WebUI link)

sdeshpande
1-Newbie

Sharing an item link (both GUI link and WebUI link)

Is there an easy way to set up field(s) that will provide the item's links (GUI and web)?

I know we can implement triggers that email these links or click on an individual selected on the item to send them the links, but we need the ability to quickly link an item and share it with individuals that may or may not be included in fields on the item.

In addition, we need a link to the WebUI because the GUI printing does not seem to work remotely well enough to be utilized.

Having a user go through a whole process to see and print the item on the web is onerous and unacceptable.

I want to be able to set up a field that when clicked will provide direct a link to the item in the WebUI (and the same for a field for the GUI).

This way, the user can get directly to the WebUI from the item in the GUI and use the Print functionality there.

The other usecase (GUI link) also allows the user to share the item GUI link easily without having to memorize a string and change the item ID every time.

Thanks in advance!

5 REPLIES 5

Hi Sourabh Deshpande

I would set up a trigger which adds the link(s) to a read-only field when the item is created.

I am not sure if there is a way to do this without a trigger.

Regards,

Dominik

Hello Sourabh Deshpande‌ and Dominik Thierjung‌,

The similar kind of link generation is handled by us using external scripting (ex., python script) executed from "Custom Menu". I could give an idea which might help to implement from your side.

1. The current item selection could be obtained from environmental variable

- For example, configure the "custom menu" with "cmd.exe" as program and then execute the same by selecting an item

- This should invoke the command prompt

- Now type "SET MKSSI", this should list the MKSSI_ISSUE

2. Now write a script that reads this "Environmental Variable" and parse as parameter to the links which you usually receive through mails,

- WEB: http://<MKSSI_HOST>:<MKSSI_PORT>/im/issues?selection=<MKSSI_ISSUE0>

- GUI: url:integrity://<MKSSI_HOST>:<MKSSI_PORT>/im/viewissue?selection=<MKSSI_ISSUE0>

3. Configure your script to "Custom Menu" (Viewset -> Customize -> Action -> Custom) and make it to visible

4. Now invocation should resolve your expectation.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Sathish

Hello Sathish Kumar Kamaraj,

getting the respective links via a custom button has the advantage that you could copy the links directly into the clipboard for the user.

But for the use-case Sourabh Deshpande is describing is see the disadvantage that his users need to generate the links fo each item manualy. Granted, you could use a multiselect to add the link to multiple items a once, but there are still manual steps involveld to generate the links. And by relying on user-actions you can't be sure that each (new) item has the links added.

Using rules you can make sure a trigger runs once an item is created and this way each newly created item has the link fields populated.

A very simple trigger would do the trick

var idb= bsf.lookupBean("imIssueDeltaBean");

var eb = bsf.lookupBean("siEnvironmentBean");

var port = eb.getHostPort().toString();

var hostname = eb.getHostname();

var id = idb.getID();

var guiUrl = "url:integrity://" + hostname + ":" + port + "/im/viewissue?selection=" + id;

idb.setFieldValue("GUI URL",'<!-- MKS HTML --><a href="'+guiUrl+'">'+guiUrl+'</a>');

Regards,

Dominik

Hi Dominik Thierjung‌,

That's fine information. So its depend upon the access rights the user have.

If the request is for Normal Client user then they could go for my solution (script based), if the request needs to be an permanent method then they could go for Trigger based solution with the help of Client Administrator. Both solution should resolve the issue.

Regards,

Sathish

Hi Sathish Kumar Kamaraj,

you are correct of course. I was looking at it purely from an admin-perspective.

Sourabh Deshpande can pick the solution which best suits his need.

Regards,

Dominik

Top Tags