cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - If community subscription notifications are filling up your inbox you can set up a daily digest and get all your notifications in a single email. X

What is the best approach to deploy solution on another system? Like if we have created some fields, types etc on one system how to take them to different system in a efficient way ?

kjain-2
15-Moonstone

What is the best approach to deploy solution on another system? Like if we have created some fields, types etc on one system how to take them to different system in a efficient way ?

8 REPLIES 8
DanR.
10-Marble
(To:kjain-2)

Kapil,

I am the PTC Integrity administrator for 2 separate servers.  We are using PTC Integrity LCM 10.9 running on Red Hat Enterprise Linux.

When I need to create a large amount fields, triggers, queries, etc, I use the CLI.  You need to test those scripts first, because as you may already know the command line is unforgiving.

To shorten the scripts I use variables.  The variables in the scripts are between the % %

Example:

REM - Variables

SET HOST=--hostname=ptc

SET CFIELD=createfield

SET CMKS_DOMAIN_GRP=createmksdomaingroup

SET EMKS_DOMAIN_GRP=editmksdomaingroup

SET CPROJECT=createproject

SET CQUERY=createquery

SET CREPORT=createreport

SET CSTATE=createstate

SET CTRIGGER=createtrigger

SET EPROJECT=editproject

SET ETRIGGER=edittrigger

SET USR=--user=ptcadmin

Here is an example of a script that loops and creates 9 date fields with the names "Date Completed 01, Date Completed 02,Date Completed 03, etc." : 

FOR /L %X in (1, 1, 9) DO (im %CFIELD% %HOST% --type=date --description="Date Completed 0%X" --displayName="Date Completed 0%X" --name="Date Completed 0%X")

or

you could do this:

im %CFIELD% %HOST% --type=date --description="Date Completed 01" --displayName="Date Completed 01" --name="Date Completed 01"

im %CFIELD% %HOST% --type=date --description="Date Completed 02" --displayName="Date Completed 02" --name="Date Completed 02"

im %CFIELD% %HOST% --type=date --description="Date Completed 03" --displayName="Date Completed 03" --name="Date Completed 03" 

im %CFIELD% %HOST% --type=date --description="Date Completed 04" --displayName="Date Completed 04" --name="Date Completed 04"

im %CFIELD% %HOST% --type=date --description="Date Completed 05" --displayName="Date Completed 05" --name="Date Completed 05"

im %CFIELD% %HOST% --type=date --description="Date Completed 06" --displayName="Date Completed 06" --name="Date Completed 06" 

im %CFIELD% %HOST% --type=date --description="Date Completed 07" --displayName="Date Completed 07" --name="Date Completed 07"

im %CFIELD% %HOST% --type=date --description="Date Completed 08" --displayName="Date Completed 08" --name="Date Completed 08"

im %CFIELD% %HOST% --type=date --description="Date Completed 09" --displayName="Date Completed 09" --name="Date Completed 09" 

Hope that helps you in some way.

Dan

kjain-2
15-Moonstone
(To:DanR.)

Yes i am using this approach that you explained (CLI) but i want to discover some other way to do this if we can .
By the way a very much thanks to you for explaining my issue in such a better way.

Hi Kapil,

Alternatively, you may want to reach out to your PTC account manager, and inquire about some services/solutions engagement work, as this is something they do and have some tools to create a solution to help facilitate what you're looking for.

Hi Michael,

Very First thanks to you for your valuable information. Can you suggest me some services/solutions or tools for this that can help me to do this in efficient way?

Hi Kapil,

the best and most efficient way to transport configuration changes is by using the "Integrity Stage Mechanism". This is build in, very convenient and exactly what you are looking for.

This requires that both systems (e.g. PROD and TEST) are connected and then you use a wizard to transport admin changes accross.

If you dont have a stage and do not plan for, then there is a consulting tool available that can help

https://github.com/PTC-ALM/TIF

This tool can extract and load from one into another environment. It is based on XML data representations. A documentation is included.

Hope this helps

Volker

Hi Volker,

Thanks for your response and providing this valuable information. Appreciate your knowledge.

Can you tell me more about this like how to use that consulting tool to pass data from one system to another without pairing (Staging) both systems. ?

Regards

Kapil Jain

Hi,

this is the only thread that mentions the TIF Workbench. Therefore, I decided to publish attached tutorial here. I have not deployed a complete solution with this tool, however, I have generated scripts consisting of CLI commands that reflect differences of two Integrity solutions. These CLI commands might be used for migration between independent servers. Good luck!

Best regards, Richard.

kjain-2
15-Moonstone
(To:rheininger)

Hi @rheininger,

Thanks for sending article in such a detailed way, I appreciate the way you documented it. Once again Thanks a lot. 🙂 

Regards,

Kapil

Top Tags