cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Learn all about PTC Community Badges. Engage with PTC and see how many you can earn! X

Eclipse Plugin for ThingWorx Extensions - 7.0 Release Notes

No ratings

For those of you that aren't aware - the newest version of the Eclipse Plugin for Extension Development was made available last week in the ThingWorx Marketplace here.

Because of the infancy of the product, there is not an official process for supplying release notes along with the plugin.  These are not official or all encompassing, but cover the main items worked on for 7.0.

New Features:

1. Added Configuration Table Wizard for code generation
  2. SDK Javadocs now automatically linked to SDK resources on project creation
  3. When creating a Service, Trace logging statements are generated inside of it (along with appropriate initializers)
  4. ThingWorx Source actions are now available from right click menu within a .java file

Bugs:

1. Fixed problem where some BaseTypes are not uppercase in annotations when generating code
  2. Fixed error when Creating and importing Extension Projects when the Eclipse install has a space in the file path
  3. Fixed inconsistent formatting in the metadata.xml when adding new Entities

We are hoping to have a more official Release Note process for the next release.  Feel free to reply with questions or concerns.

Comments

#4 is very exciting to me because I see the huge potential in automatically generating source code on your Java based Entities like Services, Properties, and Configuration Tables. What once was an error prone process can now be done through a wizard. Not only will this remove obstacles from developers, but the speed at which you can create Entities with Services, Properties, and Configuration Tables is a breath of fresh air!

Lastly, it's only going to get better as we add more functionality to the plugin! I can't wait to get even more tooling out there for our ThingWorx community!

Nice to see bug #2 solved!

Question: is there a way at this moment to bypass ThingPackage usage in metadata? When creating extension with the plugin the TW server warns that ThingPackage won't be used in the future, but aparently we still need to use them.

No, but you did just find a minor bug! ThingPackages should not be putting that warning in the logs.

Is the warning spoken of in this thread the same as what you are seeing?

I have a feeling that the warning you are referring to is not that ThingPackages itself will be deprecated, but that having any Entities (in your case, the ThingPackage Entity) in the metadata.xml that don't reference java files will be deprecated and should be put in the Entities folder instead.  The message has proven to be misleading.  See my response in the thread for more info.

Let me know if this is not the same error you are seeing.

Nope, not the same one. I had no entities in the metadata, and I also discovered the usage of the xml exports in the Entities folder.

As said before in my original post, the warning refers to ThingPackages.

Provide us your your extension and we can look into it...the other thread that Thearon linked shows the only warning message we print that looks at entity types. ThingPackages was not in the list that we should ignore, so that made sense to me for a bug -- ThingPackages should be ignored and were not.

The 7.1 Release Notes are now available - click here

Version history
Last update:
‎Feb 05, 2016 09:58 AM
Updated by:
Labels (2)