cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Learn all about PTC Community Badges. Engage with PTC and see how many you can earn! X

Integrating KepserverEX 6 with Rockwell Ethernet card in remote rack

AC_11092672
3-Visitor

Integrating KepserverEX 6 with Rockwell Ethernet card in remote rack

Hello dears from the ptc community,

I am reaching out to seek assistance with an integration issue I am experiencing.

In may company, we have a machine with a Rockwell setup that includes a CPU 1756-L72S paired with a 1756-L7SP (partner) and a 1756-EN2T in slots 0, 1, and 2 respectively, within a 9-slot chassis. All remaining slots in this chassis are currently occupied.

Additionally, within the same panel, we have a remote rack also in a 9-slot chassis, featuring another 1756-EN2T for Ethernet communication with the CPU. This remote rack has a single spare slot available in position 8.

The communication between the Ethernet cards in the main and remote racks is done by a Stratix 5700 (1783-BMS10CGP).

Following the implementation of this project, I have been tasked with connecting our process information management system OPC server, specifically KepserverEX 6, to the machine to make available a complete set of controller tags.

To use the spare slot in the remote rack, I installed an older Ethernet card (1756-ENBT/A), assigned the designated IP address, and connected it, but, I was unable to establish communication. The KepserverEX 6 server is able to detect the Ethernet card, but it does not recognize the controller, likely because the controller is configured in a different rack.

I am seeking guidance on whether there is a way for KepserverEX 6 to read the controller tags through this Ethernet card in the remote rack.

Unfortunately, I have not been able to locate any documentation addressing this specific scenario and would prefer to avoid the extensive reengineering of our software and panel should I need to use a slot in the same rack as the CPU.

I would greatly appreciate any assistance or documentation anyone could provide on this matter.

Many thanks!

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

• To target a CPU in a different chassis, advanced routing paths will be required in the Device ID
  • Additional information on Advanced Routing can be found in the 'Connection Path Specification' section of the driver's help document here  
  • Limitations:
    • Advanced routing to target controllers needs to originate from a ControlLogix backplane  
    • Advanced routing is not possible if any device before the final target device is a CompactLogix device
      • To request this functionality please refer to:

• Note:
    • Screenshots from the RSWho application (part of the Rockwell programming software RSLogix5000) can be invaluable in determining the correct routing path

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Can you route your Kepserver machine onto the Stratix network and connect directly to the PLCs you want to pull from? 

Actually, that's what I was trying to do with the ethernet card in the remote rack. The problem is my network is segmented into VLANs and the KepServer is in a specific one and I don't have where to put the ethernet card in the main rack.

Crossing the rack backplane is more difficult for KW I'm not even sure it can do it.

You can't get networking team to route you through the Vlans for just that Kepware machine? 

I have long wished Allen Bradley  would allow dual IPs on those EN2T modules like they do with the 5380. That would solve so many cases like this

• To target a CPU in a different chassis, advanced routing paths will be required in the Device ID
  • Additional information on Advanced Routing can be found in the 'Connection Path Specification' section of the driver's help document here  
  • Limitations:
    • Advanced routing to target controllers needs to originate from a ControlLogix backplane  
    • Advanced routing is not possible if any device before the final target device is a CompactLogix device
      • To request this functionality please refer to:

• Note:
    • Screenshots from the RSWho application (part of the Rockwell programming software RSLogix5000) can be invaluable in determining the correct routing path

Thanks for the advice @SlidingDownhill looks like a bit complex, but it is my best bet at the momento. WIll let you know about the results.

BR,

@AC_11092672,

The recommendation provided by SlidingDownhill is spot on.  Obtaining the RSWho and opening a support ticket with the Kepware team could also help. Here is a link to the login page where a ticket can be opened:

Thanks,

*Chris 

Announcements

Top Tags