cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Learn all about PTC Community Badges. Engage with PTC and see how many you can earn! X

KepServerEx6 and FactoryTalk View SE v12 Disconnected with server

NA_10763974
2-Guest

KepServerEx6 and FactoryTalk View SE v12 Disconnected with server

I'm using the trial version of Kepware on a local machine and I'm completely unable to connect to the OPC UA server from FactoryTalk View SE. I was able to connect to the GE PLCs I need to through the quick client, but haven't been able to communicate with anything in FactoryTalk at all. (FactoryTalk is also being hosted on the same computer)

I've followed this tutorial from Rockwell directly to no avail:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NUfF1X7muS4

I've set Windows Inbound rule for port 49320.

I tried changing the port to 4880 as the FactoryTalk manual shows that as the default port when one is not specified.

From FactoryTalk Manual:

Enter a custom network path or IP address to an OPC UA Server. The path must be in the format opc.tcp://hostname_or_ip:port/Path/To/Server where hostname_or_ip, port, and /Path/To/Server are replaced with the OPC UA Server settings. If no port is specified, the FactoryTalk Linx OPC UA Connector will attempt to connect to port 4880.

The firewall on the OPC UA Server must allow incoming connections to the selected port for the connection to succeed.

I have also imported the certificate for FactoryTalk Linx OPC UA Connector into the Trusted Clients of the OPC UA Configuration Manager.

I even tried setting this up on another machine, same results. (Also many reboots between all steps).

I saw someone else's post mentioning moving to v6 broke their communications here:

https://community.ptc.com/t5/Kepware/FactoryTalk-View-SE-and-KepServerExV6-OPC-UA/m-p/894437

Is there a link to download a trial of the older version they mention (v5.21) so I can rule that out as well?

Not sure what other courses of action I can take seems like I'm messing something up with the setup or something because this should be simple..

2 REPLIES 2

@NA_10763974 

All older versions of KEPServerEX can be found in the downloads drop down in the My Kepware portal. Here is a link to the login page:  Log In | My Kepware

I recommend initially making the OPC UA connection with both Client and Server side security set to NONE. You can always add in the certificate use after the connection is shown to be successful.  I do not believe the issue is with the v6.x versioning, but a mismatch in security details. I also recommend opening a support ticket with the Kepware team so that more extensive troubleshooting can be performed. A ticket can be opened once logged into my kepware portal.

Thanks,

*Chris

Thanks.

Since posting I have been able to make a connection to the OPC UA server through the localhost, but only by recreating the entire project in a local station project. I'm not able to make the connection on a network distributed project.

Top Tags