cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - When posting, your subject should be specific and summarize your question. Here are some additional tips on asking a great question. X

ESP8266 to KepserverEX on same local network

Sagar
4-Participant

ESP8266 to KepserverEX on same local network

Hello,

I am looking to send data from ESP8266 to Kepware [ OPC UA server].

Physical layout:

Have an ESP8266 (say 192.168.1.100) with a DHT-11 temperature sensor connected. I can program ESP8266 with Arduino IDE environment. In the same network, I have a Server (say 192.168.1.110), with Kepware KepServer  on it. There is no physical wiring from ESP8266 to the Server.

IN this case, can someone point to some documentation on how to send the Temp values to Kepserver.

I am aware of setting a channel on Kepware, creating tag etc. But need some guidance on how to program the ESP8266, and the workflow figured out.

Any documentation or hints would be great.

NOTE: I am NOT looking to send data to ThingWorx DIRECTLY from ESP8266 over MQTT or REST.

Regards,

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
ndionne
3-Visitor
(To:Sagar)

Sagar, We do not really have any prescribed method for connecting an ESP8266 to KEPServerEX as it does not have a specific industrial protocol that it uses to communicate with. There are other groups that have setup that device to use both MQTT and Modbus. As you do not appear to want to use MQTT with our Client driver, Modbus could potentially fit your use case.

Doing a web search for ESP8266 and Modbus I found the following link:

http://pdacontrolen.com/tutorial-esp8266-12e-modbus-rtu-master/

This is not a configuration that I have tried, but appears to allow the ESP8266 to communicate via Modbus which should allow KEPServerEX to consume that data.

Once you have the ESP8266 setup to output Modbus, creating a new Modbus channel and device in KEPServerEX to talk to it should be very straight forward.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
ndionne
3-Visitor
(To:Sagar)

Sagar, We do not really have any prescribed method for connecting an ESP8266 to KEPServerEX as it does not have a specific industrial protocol that it uses to communicate with. There are other groups that have setup that device to use both MQTT and Modbus. As you do not appear to want to use MQTT with our Client driver, Modbus could potentially fit your use case.

Doing a web search for ESP8266 and Modbus I found the following link:

http://pdacontrolen.com/tutorial-esp8266-12e-modbus-rtu-master/

This is not a configuration that I have tried, but appears to allow the ESP8266 to communicate via Modbus which should allow KEPServerEX to consume that data.

Once you have the ESP8266 setup to output Modbus, creating a new Modbus channel and device in KEPServerEX to talk to it should be very straight forward.

Top Tags