cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Your Friends List is a way to easily have access to the community members that you interact with the most! X

KEPServerEX V6.9 - cannot perform write operations to machine PLC tags

MStockwell
4-Participant

KEPServerEX V6.9 - cannot perform write operations to machine PLC tags

Hello! I am hoping someone can help me with an issue I am encountering. My company recently purchased a new MES system (Critical Manufacturing) and along with it we purchased Kepware in order to bridge the gap between machine and MES. Here is the scenario:

I have a machine with an Allen Bradley CompactLogix 5380 controller (5069-L320ERMS2/B) with firmware version 32.012 installed. I am using KEPServerEX to connect to the AB controller using OPC-UA protocol. I have a fully populated list of machine tags presented to me (around 34,000 tags in total) and I am able to view the real data on these tags when opening the OPC Quick Client to view them. I have successfully performed read operations on all of the relevant tags I need, so I know the communication is working in that direction - the issue is when I try to write data to the tags. I have boolean tags in the PLC that correlate to certain functions, such as counter resets. I have attemped both Synchronous Writes and Asynchronous Writes to the tags, but I immediately fail each time (see screenshot of logfile attached).

I am hoping someone can shine some light on this issue for me. I am not an experienced controls engineer, and this is really my first experience working with PLC language, Kepware, etc... Any help would be greatly appreciated!

**added a couple of additional screenshots showing the tag names, and the tag properties in Kepware. Additionally in the TagProperties screenshot you can see the error codes being written in the background - this is from the MES system trying to send the tag updates and failing.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
CM_8750417
4-Participant
(To:MStockwell)

Greetings, 

The 0x80004005 error typically pertains to a permissions / user access issue. First check to see if the logged on user has read/write privileges in the KEPServerEX event log. The error is usually also seen when Microsoft Security for remote connections (known as DCOM) has not been configured properly. Hope this helps!  If not, please submit a case through the My Kepware portal on the Kepware.com website for a deeper dive.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
CM_8750417
4-Participant
(To:MStockwell)

Greetings, 

The 0x80004005 error typically pertains to a permissions / user access issue. First check to see if the logged on user has read/write privileges in the KEPServerEX event log. The error is usually also seen when Microsoft Security for remote connections (known as DCOM) has not been configured properly. Hope this helps!  If not, please submit a case through the My Kepware portal on the Kepware.com website for a deeper dive.

MStockwell
4-Participant
(To:CM_8750417)

Thank you for the assist with this! 

I ended up putting in a ticket with Kepware, for which they immediately told my that the issue was in the PLC itself... After telling bringing this back up with the integrator, they looked again and found that the tags were Read Only in the program... So spun my tires for a few on that one for no good reason! 

Thanks for the support!!

Top Tags