cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Want the oppurtunity to discuss enhancements to PTC products? Join a working group! X

Using Remote Database Template with Manufacturing App

bwinslow24
7-Bedrock

Using Remote Database Template with Manufacturing App

Hi,

We currently are trying to create custom templates that extend the PTC.ISA95.PhysicalAssetThingTemplate so we have our Things in Manufacturing App. Most of our templates extend RemoteThingWithTunnelsAndFileTransfer. From what I can see all the functionality we need can be accomplished with the PhysicalAssetThingTemplate. However, we have one template that extends the RemoteDatabase. If we have this template extend the PhysicalAssetThingTemplate, will we be able to connect to the remote database? If not, is there any work arounds?

Thanks,

Brandon Winslow

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
mthakker
6-Contributor
(To:bwinslow24)

Hey Brandon,

There's probably two different ways for you to do this.  Way #1 would be to do some form of local binding from your remote database Thing over to a new Thing with the PTC.ISA95.PhysicalAssetThingTemplate.  I wouldn't recommend this.

Instead, you could implement the same ThingShapes that are on the PTC.ISA95.PhysicalAssetThingTemplate - we query by those rather than by just the template.  This would also give you fine grained control over what data you want on the Remote database, rather than a big bang of getting everything.

Thanks,

Milan

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
hrajpal
13-Aquamarine

Greetings Brandson,

PhysicalAssetThingTemplate do not have remote database template functionality.

Regards,

Himesh Rajpal

mthakker
6-Contributor

Hey Brandon,

Can you tell us a little bit more about the use case that you have here?  What exactly are you trying to do?

Thanks,

Milan

Hey Milan,

Currently we have two separate things to represent our machines. We have our things with our custom thing template and the "Asset_" thing that is created when you create an asset in Manufacturing App. We have just upgraded to 8.3 from 8.0. We now want to eliminate this duplicate "Asset_" thing. The way we can do this is create new templates that have a base template of PTC.ISA95.PhysicalAssetThingTemplate. This is perfect for 95% of our templates because they currently have a base template of RemoteThingWithTunnelsAndFileTransfer. However, we have one template that extends RemoteDatabase. I am trying to figure out how to eliminate the Duplicate "Asset_" thing for these machines as well. Is there a Remote Database Thing Shape that I could implement in order to have our template, which will now have a base template of PTC.ISA95.PhysicalAssetThingTemplate, have the functionality of being able to query a remote database?

Thanks,

Brandon 

mthakker
6-Contributor

Hey Brandon,

There's probably two different ways for you to do this.  Way #1 would be to do some form of local binding from your remote database Thing over to a new Thing with the PTC.ISA95.PhysicalAssetThingTemplate.  I wouldn't recommend this.

Instead, you could implement the same ThingShapes that are on the PTC.ISA95.PhysicalAssetThingTemplate - we query by those rather than by just the template.  This would also give you fine grained control over what data you want on the Remote database, rather than a big bang of getting everything.

Thanks,

Milan

Hey Milan,

That works Thanks!

Brandon

Top Tags