cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Stay updated on what is happening on the PTC Community by subscribing to PTC Community Announcements. X

What is ThingWorx connection server ?

suriya
3-Visitor

What is ThingWorx connection server ?

Hi ,

I'm new for ThingWorx platform , try to self study from the online document . 

I have question about the purpose of using the ThingWorx connection server. 

"ThingWorx Connection Server provides a server application that allows the connection of remote devices that use the ThingWorx AlwaysOn™ protocol to the instance of ThingWorx platform. This Connection Server handles all message routing to and from devices, providing scalable connectivity to ThingWorx platform."

For the Manufacturing App , it is look like ThingWorx connection server is doing the same task which KEPserver acting. 

in the production environment I can choose between ThingWorx connection server or KEPserver to get the data from the remote device .

Is my understanding correct ? 

Thank you

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

The ThingWorx connection server is a concentrator for AlwaysOn agents, its purpose is horizontal scaling.

For example, it is not recommended to directly connect 30 000 AlwaysOn devices onto the ThingWorx platform; you shall interpose a couple of Connection Servers (for example 3 =10 000 devices per connector).

KEPserver can aggregates data from disparate devices and applications. It supports hundreds of different protocols.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

The ThingWorx connection server is a concentrator for AlwaysOn agents, its purpose is horizontal scaling.

For example, it is not recommended to directly connect 30 000 AlwaysOn devices onto the ThingWorx platform; you shall interpose a couple of Connection Servers (for example 3 =10 000 devices per connector).

KEPserver can aggregates data from disparate devices and applications. It supports hundreds of different protocols.

Thank you for the answer .

Another question , can I use KEPserver send the aggregate data from OT device then send that data pass to ThingWorx connection server ?

So the direction of connectivity is ,

OT Device -----> KEPserver -----> ThingWorx connection server ------> ThingWorx MFG app

Regards

What is an OT device and what communication protocol does it use ?

Regards

PS : Note that you probably don't need  a ThingWorx connection server with KEPServer .

Do1
9-Granite
9-Granite
(To:smainente)

An OT device is "Operational Technology" as opposed to an IT (Information Technology) device.

The distinction is important as it deals with devices which have to operation under certain conditions.  Should anything negatively affect these OT devices it could have catastrophic consequences including possibly loss of life.

Top Tags