cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Learn all about PTC Community Badges. Engage with PTC and see how many you can earn! X

cannot connect to Thingworx from Kepserverex V6 Thingworx native interface

MK_8387299
2-Guest

cannot connect to Thingworx from Kepserverex V6 Thingworx native interface

1.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
slangley
23-Emerald II
(To:MK_8387299)

Hi Metin.

Please check that the Thing name (Demo_umutcolak) exists in ThingWorx Composer.  If so, open it and copy the application key to the Application Key property for Thingworx in the KEPServerEX properties.

I also see that you have legacy mode enabled.  Are you running KEPServerEX 6.2?  If not, you will need to upgrade in order to run Manufacturing Apps.

Please let me know if this information was helpful.  If not, we will dig deeper into the issue.

Regards.

--Sharon

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
slangley
23-Emerald II
(To:MK_8387299)

Hi Metin.

Please check that the Thing name (Demo_umutcolak) exists in ThingWorx Composer.  If so, open it and copy the application key to the Application Key property for Thingworx in the KEPServerEX properties.

I also see that you have legacy mode enabled.  Are you running KEPServerEX 6.2?  If not, you will need to upgrade in order to run Manufacturing Apps.

Please let me know if this information was helpful.  If not, we will dig deeper into the issue.

Regards.

--Sharon

Hello Sharon,

Thank you for your reply. Yes, it exists in the composer and I am running KepServerEX 6.2. I've solved the host name problem but now I have another problem: "error: could not initialize a secure socket connection" 

Do you have an idea about the cause of this problem?

Thank you

Greetings Metin,

Here is an excerpt from the KEPServerEX v6.2 Server Help manual, in the Event Log error message section:

"'Connection to ThingWorx failed. | Platform <host:port resource>, error: <reason>.'

Possible Cause: The connection to the ThingWorx platform could not be established.

Possible Solution:

1. Verify that the host, port, resource, and application key are all valid and correct.

2. Verify that the host machine can reach the composer on the ThingWorx platform.

3. Verify that the proper certificate settings are enabled if using a self-signed certificate or no encryption."

If any of the above parameters are incorrect, a socket connection cannot be formed between KEPServerEX and ThingWorx. Extracting from the help description, here is a checklist to go through for these items:

1. a. Host: This is the URL used to connect with your ThingWorx instance. This will be tested in Step 2 below.

1. b. Port: This is configured in the server.xml configuration file for Tomcat. The default, non-encrypted port is 80.

1. c. Resource: You will need to have a Resource value entered here. Try the default "/Thingworx/WS".

1. d. Application Key: Follow Sharon's instructions to verify you have copy/pasted the Application Key directly from Composer

2. Now, on the same PC where KEPServerEX is installed, open a web browser and attempt to connect to ThingWorx Composer at this address:

<Host>:<Port>/Thingworx

3. Unless you are using SSL or self-signed certificates, the best options for the three certificate/encryption options are:

Trust self-signed certificates: No

Trust all certificates: No

Disable encryption: Yes

Please let us know how it goes after going through these settings and suggestions.

Best regards,

Steven M

Metin,

I am not sure you were able to solve this problem. If not let us know.

Thanks,

Varathan

Hi everyone,

I have the same problem as Metin. I tried reinstalling Kepware after I had problems with ThingWorx and that didn't help. I can connect to ThingWorx via this link: <Host>:<Port>/home. But when I enter <Host>:<Port>/Thingworx, I get this:

image.png

The Thing name matches with the name in the Composer (btw. doesn't matter if I remove '_Joan de Kramer', it was automatically added by Composer). Also the Application Key matches with the keyId. Can it have something to do with the Windows version; because in some places it says you need W10 Pro or Enterprise and somewhere else it only says W10 (I use W10 Home 64-bit).

image.png

Any tips would be welcome.

Regards,

Joan

Greetings @jdekramer,

Please help me better understand what you are describing.

Are you attempting to connect KEPServerEX with ThingWorx?

What does the KEPServerEX Event Log say about the connection?

Where are you entering the two links you describe, in a web browser?

For the AppKey, you will want to verify your expiration date hasn't elapsed. And what is the User assigned to the AppKey?

Best regards,

Steven M

Hi @stmarchessault,

Thanks for the response. I'm just getting to know ThingWorx and Kepware to use it in a project to exchange data between a DCS and ThingWorx. So I want to setup some sort of connection between KEPServerEX and ThingWorx.

I have added the Event Log beneath, I don't know what happened at 22:00 but there seems something quite wrong.

This first link (<Host>:<Port>/home) is opened by the ThingWorx Studio program in the Chrome webbrowser, and the second link (<Host>:<Port>/Thingworx) I added manually in Chrome.

The AppKey doesn't expire till 2118 and I'm assigned to the AppKey.

image.png

Regards,

Joan

Greetings @jdekramer,

Thank you for sharing this additional information. I am not able to spot what might be causing this problem for you. I will contact you outside of this Community thread to discuss your configuration in more detail. Then we can report back to here with the results of that conversation.

Best regards,

Steven M

Greetings everyone,

After sometime that we figured out that I used an old version of Composer without correct Thing Templates and administration rights. Also, in KEPServerEX I was connecting to the localhost, now I'm connected to the Experience Service URL and port 8443. I hope this will help anyone who comes across the same problem.

Best regards,

Joan dK

Greetings Metin Kervan

Following up with you on the original question posted here, can you please indicate if the recommendations given by me on 18 Oct answered this for you?

If this adequately answered your question, please mark the reply as the "Correct Answer."

Or, if you are still unresolved on your original question, let us know and we can continue troubleshooting this with you. This feedback is a key step toward ensuring Community users with a similar issue are able to locate the information they need.

Best regards,

Steven M

Top Tags