cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you get called away in the middle of writing a post? Don't worry you can find your unfinished post later in the Drafts section of your profile page. X

unable to write inside temp environment variable path

agangaiah
14-Alexandrite

unable to write inside temp environment variable path

Hello,

While trying to install Thingworx Manufacturing Apps. I am getting the following error message : unable to write inside temp environment variable path.

Any help here would be really great!!

Avinash

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Greetings @agangaiah,

There are two possible causes of this install error:

1. Following up on what we discussed, we determined the cause of the failed installation and licensing issues you were encountering was related to a conflict between the ThingWorx platform install and the Manufacturing Apps Express installer.

This leads to a key point that is often overlooked by users going through the initial installation:

The ThingWorx Manufacturing Apps Express installer is for use on a PC where the ThingWorx platform has not already been installed.

If the ThingWorx platform is already installed, the ThingWorx Manufacturing Apps should be imported as an extension directly into the platform.

To locate the Extensions download, open the PTC Software Download Page and expand the following folders:

PTC Smart Connected Applications | Release APPs | ThingWorx Manufacturing Apps Extension | Most Recent Datacode

2. The other cause of this problem is related to a conflict between third-party security software and the ThingWorx Manufacturing Apps v8.1. The PostgreSQL install scripts were prevented from having the correct permissions to complete. This conflict has been addressed, starting with the current release of the ThingWorx Manufacturing Apps (8.2).

Best regards,

Steven M

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

Avinash,

Can you check whether you already have temp path set. You can do so by echo %temp%. If not set it.

If you already have set that can you make sure you have writer permission to that folder and it has enough space?

Thanks,

Varathan

mthakker
6-Contributor
(To:agangaiah)

Hi Avinash,

Are you installing as an administrator?  Sounds like you're restricted access from the variable path.

Thanks!

Milan

hrajpal
13-Aquamarine

Greetings Avinash,

Is this error coming when the installer is installing postgres ? If yes , could you please let us know on which OS you are installing the Manufacturing Apps ?

Thanks,

Himesh Rajpal

agangaiah
14-Alexandrite
(To:hrajpal)

Hello Himesh,

Yes this error is occurring while installing postgre. Am using Windows 7 OS.

Is this a known issue?

Avinash

hrajpal
13-Aquamarine

Hi Avinash,

It should work fine with Windows 7 OS .

Please check the permissions to the folder where temp path is pointing to and make sure you have full control to that folder

Regards,

Himesh Rajpal

Hi Avinash,

I am not sure the exact error. I have seen error while installing postgres in the recent release. I would suggest you to uninstall the installation when this error occurs, restart the computer and reinstall again it will work. I am not sure why though.

Thanks,

Varathan

Greetings Avinash Gangaiah

Following up with you on the original question posted here, can you please indicate if any of the recommendations given answered this for you?

If a post adequately answered your question, you can mark the reply as the "Correct Answer."

Or, if you are still unresolved on your original question, let us know and we can continue troubleshooting this with you. This feedback is a key step toward ensuring Community users with a similar issue are able to locate the information they need.

Best regards,

Steven M

Hello @Steven,

I have been travelling and hence could not respond here. I have tried most of the suggestions but do not see any progress. That said, I still have a feeling that it is to do with the permissions and I am currently working with our IT support team to help me with this. It would be great if you can help me with any other suggestion that can work.

Thanks,

Avinash

Can you provide the us install log file? It should be where you are installing from.

Thanks,

Varathan

Greetings Avinash,

Okay. Thank you for this update. I will contact you outside of the Community to discuss. We will likely need to go through your Install Logs (per Varathan's suggestion), and then we can report back to this thread on our findings.

Best regards,
Steven M

Greetings @agangaiah,

There are two possible causes of this install error:

1. Following up on what we discussed, we determined the cause of the failed installation and licensing issues you were encountering was related to a conflict between the ThingWorx platform install and the Manufacturing Apps Express installer.

This leads to a key point that is often overlooked by users going through the initial installation:

The ThingWorx Manufacturing Apps Express installer is for use on a PC where the ThingWorx platform has not already been installed.

If the ThingWorx platform is already installed, the ThingWorx Manufacturing Apps should be imported as an extension directly into the platform.

To locate the Extensions download, open the PTC Software Download Page and expand the following folders:

PTC Smart Connected Applications | Release APPs | ThingWorx Manufacturing Apps Extension | Most Recent Datacode

2. The other cause of this problem is related to a conflict between third-party security software and the ThingWorx Manufacturing Apps v8.1. The PostgreSQL install scripts were prevented from having the correct permissions to complete. This conflict has been addressed, starting with the current release of the ThingWorx Manufacturing Apps (8.2).

Best regards,

Steven M

Top Tags