cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can Bookmark boards, posts or articles that you'd like to access again easily! X

Chamfering Issue

SteveLucas
13-Aquamarine

Chamfering Issue

When I use the automated chamfering sequence I have a problem. If your chamfer angle doesn't match the tool even by a few minutes or seconds of the chamfer angle it won,t cut the chamfer.

When dealing with molds this happens a lot of times for me with drafted surfaces. Here is an example of what I am talking about.

chamfer issue.JPG

the surface circled in blue has a draft on the side wall so the chamfer will not cut it and throws the error message circled in red.

I think there needs to be a setable angle tolerance for the chamfer sequence because it is just used to break edges and is not a precise cut by any means. If I want a precise angle chamfer I will surface it with a ball end mill.

the work around is to cut it with a trajectory tool path but that is not as easy as just selecting the chamfers with the chamfer sequence.

I was wondering if anyone else has seen this problem before I go to tech support? 

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

That has been my experience.

What is needed is an edge break sequence, so you don't need a modeled chamfer of any sort to program edge breaks.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

That has been my experience.

What is needed is an edge break sequence, so you don't need a modeled chamfer of any sort to program edge breaks.

RaphMORIN
13-Aquamarine
(To:SteveLucas)

I never use auto chamfer tools because it rarely does what I want. I only use trajectory milling and it's quite easy and quick to do by selecting chains.

When I encounter this situation, I redefine the chamfer in the model to be "angle x D" (rather than DxD)  and reference a surface that is not drafted.  If you are putting the chamfer in as a 45 between a drafted surface and a flat one, the chamfer tool won't work unless you change the definition of the tool to match the actual angle that the chamfer created.

SteveLucas
13-Aquamarine
(To:razmosis)

thanks to everyone who replied.

All the replies were correct as far as my question goes they all work.

Raphael,Yes I do use trajectory milling sequence for this situation when the chamfer is really important.But that takes a lot more effort to set up than it really needs to be when the chamfer is already on the part.

Matt, I should not have to go into the part and modify it to cut a simple edge break chamfer if it is already there. again a lot more effort then what is necesary as far as I am concerned when we are looking for quick turn around programs that you just select the geometry and cut.

Announcements

Top Tags