cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Help us improve the PTC Community by taking this short Community Survey! X

Creo 4 and Fusion 360

mpearson
1-Newbie

Creo 4 and Fusion 360

I have been working with Pro since version 12. Over the last 25 years I have used several parallel CAD systems, I trialled Solidworks, run Catia etc yet never left the PTC fold. But I yet again find myself railing at PTC lag and apparent indifference to market conditions. This is why.

We design and often machine prototypes, or 3d print, or cnc turn, or even laser cut.  They all start from data that I generate from Creo4. But there it stops.

There was much fuss made about new 3d printing functionality in Creo 4. Hopes dashed, my 2 year old Stratsys Object 30 prime is not supported.  There was me thinking PTC were wising up - maybe I can avoid the clunky interface of the Objet software. No of course not, PTC add 3d printing but only include drivers for the very top of the range printers.

When I need to CNC I get most concerned. I am increasingly using Fusion 360 to do cutter paths and slowly learning its interface and enjoying the integration between CAD, CAM SCULPT modules.. This is pure madness. I have a top line CAD package and have to go to an upstart for cutter paths. What makes it worse is Fusion 360 integrates modelling and CAM in a way PTC can only dream of. If you want to quickly add a radius to the model, one click to the model function, add radius and one click, back to the CAM and update the cutter paths.

I tested PTC CAM package 5 years ago. It had potential but I felt it was woefully complicated and punishing (fail to get one setting right and nothing works and you get no idea why). My reseller will offer me PTC NC for £7500. Ummm, I think not.

So do I put 25 years of experience behind me and divert to Fusion 360? Or do I wait for PTC to do something in CAM? (by which time rising waters from those melting ice caps might have flooded London anyway). If any such PTC announcement on CAM  follows that of 3d printing they will no doubt only support brand new 5 axis machines and ask for £5000 to write a post processor for a £5000 machine.

I should add that as a designer I was commissioned by Delcam to help them develop the user interface and functionality of Powershape.

0 REPLIES 0
Top Tags