cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Have a PTC product question you need answered fast? Chances are someone has asked it before. Learn about the community search. X

Creo 6 standard drilling cycle auto-populating relations

sstrehlow
5-Regular Member

Creo 6 standard drilling cycle auto-populating relations

Good morning.  Wondering if anyone can help me with something for my programming guys.  We are in process of moving to Creo 6 for machine programming and one my guys noticed when he is doing a standard drilling cycle, pecking, or tapping that the parameters for the tools selected are being auto-populated by a relation and not leaving the parameter tab yellow, signaling to my guys they still need to select the right pre-made drill parameter file for the operation.  The auto-populated amounts are extremely high cut feeds and spindle speeds.  The concern here is if the auto-populated amounts get forgotten and not changed it could be bad.  In Creo 3, which we use now, it does not do this and leaves the tab yellow with empty cut feeds and spindle speeds, even after the tool is selected.  We can then go and select a drilling parameter to use which will fill in the proper feeds and speeds.  I'm wondering how I can eliminate these auto-populated relations that are created for the standard drilling cycle?  I've attached some images of what I'm talking about.  Hopefully this makes sense.

2 REPLIES 2

I'm still on Creo 4, but wondered if this is another potential difficulty I can expect when we eventually "upgrade" to a later version.

At first I wondered if there was some new configuration option that might be governing this behavior, but looking into all the available options doesn't show anything that I could find.

Other possible sources of trouble would be the site file (If you use them), or maybe your start files for manufacturing?

My worst case explanation is that in the intervening years code has been added to "help" by doing calculations for any "simple" holemaking sequences. If this is the case, it's likely causing troubles if anything that is used to make these calculations is not properly defined. It might even be a case of inattention to units of measure.

But, again, I'm not using Creo 6, so these are just ideas with absolutely no verification. Is this bad behavior only when defining new sequences, or does it affect already existing sequences that were created in Creo 3 and now being edited in Creo 6? The only parameters I've seen auto-populated for Creo 4 are those I've defined in the site file, and never any with relations defining them. The spindle speeds you showed are amazingly high, they'd (hopefully) cause the machine to trigger an error, though that's not much consolation.

sstrehlow
5-Regular Member
(To:KenFarley)

This behavior is only happening on new sequences.  If we bring in an existing one made in Creo 3 all the parameters are already filled out to what we need.  We do not use site files.  It just seems weird that every other sequence besides standard drilling, pecking, and tapping leaves the parameters blank, indicating we need to fill them in before proceeding.

Top Tags