cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - When posting, your subject should be specific and summarize your question. Here are some additional tips on asking a great question. X

Different ways of using pictures, vector graphics etc. as a template for complex extrusions...

elunnikivi
1-Newbie

Different ways of using pictures, vector graphics etc. as a template for complex extrusions...

Hello!

I´m an engineer student and doing my final thesis on Creo Parametric 2.0. To be more specific, i´m researching different ways of using pictures or vector graphics as a stencil for extrusions and forward to .dfx for laser cutting etc. manufacturing.

The main idea is this:

I download a "dog face" from google, place it in a plane in Creo Parametric and draw the lines with splice tool etc. That is kind of slow, crappy and the results are very inaccurate in my opinion. There must be other easier ways to recognize the shapes of pictures or vector graphics etc....?

My purpose is to find out different ways of doing this, test the ways, report my findings and do a tutorial of some sort.

I´d be very happy if I could receive some user experiences of similar situations from more experienced Creo users so I could test them myself and use them in my report.

Have a nice springtime!

-Eero

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
4 REPLIES 4

Creo really is not made to do what you want. There are some companies that do this but Creo isn't it.

The idea you are alluding to is still layer based... similar to additive manufacturing where the software can make layers to build up or machine away 3D shapes. This means you need a 3D model to start with. There are two schools of thought on this.

1: A very graphics efficient method is texture mapping images on a simple block and code determines how to see the contours of the object. I am not sure how well this works in translating this to a 3D facet file, but I believe it is done.

2: 3D scanning software can make a facet model from a point cloud. This requires a master physical part. This is much easier to send to a slicing tool for CNC processing.

That area is typically referred to as "tracing bitmaps" or "bitmap to vector conversion" or "convert raster to vector"

None of these are part of PTC software offerings.

Im sorry but i have totally misunderstood my purpose in this matter.

I was meant to study the possibilities of converting paper versions of machine drawings into vectors and then importing the vector graphics into creo parametric.

You know like making a paper version parametric again. That is kinda possible in my opinion if you use the tool that keeps the dimension of the lines. Atleast in some situations i guess...

Does that sound completely crazy?

Thank you very much for answers people!

If you can get the drawings into a vector format, you could use AutobuildZ. However, it looks like PTC may not be actively maintaining this module.

https://support.ptc.com/appserver/cs/view/solution.jsp?n=CS126209&art_lang=en&posno=1&q=autobuildz&source=search

Top Tags