cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can change your system assigned username to something more personal in your community settings. X

Drill dragging through part from Hole to Hole

razmosis
11-Garnet

Drill dragging through part from Hole to Hole

I encounter a situation from time to time in WF5, and now in Creo in which a drill appears to retract to the retract plane in the tool path view - but when viewed in material removal simulation the drill travels through the part from on hole to the next. I am curious what other people do to overcome this?

The operation is set to use the retract plane always. The retract plane is 3"

Retract Parmeter is set at 3.85"

The holes lie on a flange 180degrees apart from one another.

The tool needs to retract after the first hole in order to clear the middle portion of this hub which is .85" taller than the flange. (Hence the 3.85" retract parameter)

If you place the tool on the tool path, it shows that the tool (even though it appears retracted) is actually at z=-.85".

Anyone else get this issue?

Thanks!

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
6 REPLIES 6
SteveLucas
13-Aquamarine
(To:razmosis)

Matt,

I use chk_srf_stock_allow and set it to what ever clearance you would like.

hole_chk_srf.JPG

Then select the part to check.

hole_chk_srf_result.JPG

Keeps the tool off the part by that amount. Works for me at least.

Steve

Steve,

I tried it out with the changes. It didn't get me where I want to be. The only thing that seemed to work for me is to specify the highest Z plane as the drill hole's starting surface. I can do that, but then always end up having to add the distance from this Z plane to the depth of the holes in order to specify a blind depth of the hole pattern. What I'd like to do is specify that a group of Counterbores should be 1/4" deep from the start surface, not the highest Z surface. I would use "to selected" if the counterbores were constructed as an extrude, but since they are hole features I can't do that. It sees each hole surface as a different surface that way.

SteveLucas
13-Aquamarine
(To:razmosis)

Matt,

In my example my coordinate system is set to the highest point on the part but my drill start surface is at the step level where the holes are. That way all my Z moves are negative numbers and I don't have to mess with sign changes form minus to plus or plus to minus.The only positive numbers are moves back to the clearance plane or Z zero. If you want the tool to go above everything by a set distance I think you set the parameter pull_out_distance to the height you want in your case. 85plus some clearance.

All my counterbores are circle milled with volume rough with parameters set to follow hard walls and Profile only or helical milled rather than use the counter bore cycle. So they are either mill window or trajectory milled and not a drill cycle so I am not much help there, But I thought if you specify a depth in a hole or counterbore cycle it will drill all the holes or counterbores to that depth that are in that group or specified in that cycle.

In general, if I see this type of thing, I have found that turning off cycle optimization stops the horrifying simulation results. I seem to always have this problem with reaming cycles and "standard" drilling. Peck drilling doesn't show this type of behavior, presumably because it inherently has a retract at the end of execution.

Hi Matt,

Try setting the option "Pullout_Dist" to a dimension that clears your workpiece or boss/island. This determines how far out of the hole the drill comes out.

If this dimension makes your tool go higher than your retract plane then it throws a warning (lower left of window) at you but it shouldn't cause any problems. I usually measure from my retract plane down to the drill start height.

Ron

Renato,

I believe this to be an issue that went away when we went to Creo 2. I haven't come across it in a long time. At the time, I did have the Pullout Distance set to 3.85" and the Operation Retract was 3". I never really figured it out without making separate sequences when it came up.

Thanks,

Matt

Top Tags