cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can change your system assigned username to something more personal in your community settings. X

Duplicate Tooling?

SteveLucas
13-Aquamarine

Duplicate Tooling?

I was just wondering if there was anyone out there that had jobs with duplicate or redundant tooling where you would run a cutter for a time or distance then switch to a new tool of the same size and shape to continue milling?

I know this can be done at the control (at least on our machines) what I was wondering if anyone was doing it with Pro Manufacturing?

Steve

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
3 REPLIES 3
jeuclide
4-Participant
(To:SteveLucas)

Steve, I have done this before but it not in the ineligible way you may want. I would just add another tool to the tool changer with same size. I cut a certain distance down with the original tool and then switch tools to cut rest of the way with second. You probably figured that one out already but wanted to throw it out there . I use this sometimes when doing a deep pocket i don't want to use a super long flute initially.

SteveLucas
13-Aquamarine
(To:jeuclide)

Thanks for the reply Jeff,

Seems not to many really do much of this sort of thing.

What I was thinking of and really didn't state in my original question was for gangs of parts or multiple parts all set on the table running the same roughing and finishing program, say like an overnight run of parts. Eventually the finisher will wear.

If you wanted to run 1 finish tool per part and switch to a new finish tool for each part how would you program for that if you had say 5 parts on the table?

I suppose you could set up 1 roughing tool and 5 finish tools all with different tool numbers and offsets. not sure if there is an easier way to do it I guess that should have been my question?

jeuclide
4-Participant
(To:SteveLucas)

Hey Steve, I hear what your saying but unfortunately do not have a solution for you. I think you might be on the right track with the different tool numbers and program accordingly. The machine we have will let you know when tool wear is getting bad but don't know of the capability to switch cutter full stream on the fly with new one.

Top Tags