cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can change your system assigned username to something more personal in your community settings. X

How to machine a back angle undercut with a radius keyway cutter

snguyen
1-Newbie

How to machine a back angle undercut with a radius keyway cutter

Good morning, I am working on a part that has a back angle that I am trying to machine with a .062" radius keyway cutter. I collected the surfaces but ProMan wont allow to use a key cutter for a surface sequence. I tried using profile but no luck. The feature I am trying to machine is the orange surface. Only other option is I am thinking to use is create individual curves at each .01" depth and do it the hard and manual way. There must be an easier way of doing undercut surfaces.

We are on Creo 3.0 M040.

Thanks.

back angle.jpg

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
SteveLucas
13-Aquamarine
(To:snguyen)

Son,

I just did something similar with a profile cut but i made a surface copy of the cut and off set it several times to get it to work.stepped_under_cut.JPG

Here is the tool used.

stepped_undercut1.JPG

play path of the first path

stepped_undercut3.JPG

I just kept copying the step and changing the surface to the next deeper one and rename the sequence to create the undercut it worked quite well. Just make sure you have lead in and lead outs that don't violate the model.

Steve

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
SteveLucas
13-Aquamarine

Son,

I just did something similar with a profile cut but i made a surface copy of the cut and off set it several times to get it to work.stepped_under_cut.JPG

Here is the tool used.

stepped_undercut1.JPG

play path of the first path

stepped_undercut3.JPG

I just kept copying the step and changing the surface to the next deeper one and rename the sequence to create the undercut it worked quite well. Just make sure you have lead in and lead outs that don't violate the model.

Steve

Steve, thanks. I was thinking that was what I was going to have to do but I was hoping for some easier solution. Oh well now I know the direction I will be trying to machine the part now.

On the sequences which type did you use for the cut? Also would you be able to upload your parameter for one of the sequence to see if I am missing any options.

Thanks.

SteveLucas
13-Aquamarine

Son,

I used profile milling. Sometimes you have to get creative to get what you want with this software. Because the cut was round I was able to start on the axis and exit on axis so I didn't have cutter comp on but I suppose I could have if I needed to. This cut wasn't anything special just adding a cooling water channel to a hardened block for a core pin. I attached the mill parameter file that I used also.

hope this helps.

stepped_undercut4.JPG

parameter1.JPG

parameter2.JPG

Just tried using profile milling and that works also. Do not have to offset any surfaces and the back tip of the tool does a really good cut.

SteveLucas
13-Aquamarine

Happy that it worked for you Son.

The reason I used stepped offsets on my cut was when it went around the radius it would then just plunge to the back of the water channel or the largest diameter. That is not what I wanted to do in hardened S7 so I created the stepped surfaces to take care if the problem. the copied surfaces were just of the largest diameter I couldn't copy the whole profile because my cutter wouldn't fit at the top then.

Steve

Top Tags