cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Visit the PTCooler (the community lounge) to get to know your fellow community members and check out some of Dale's Friday Humor posts! X

Pro/Manufacturing

RickGiguere
1-Newbie

Pro/Manufacturing

Instead of picking "new" part, assembly, or drawing, you can pick manufacturing. Can you pick up on this without too much trouble if you have been using the CAD side of pro/e. I may be transfered/working to the machine shop, and there is talk about pro/m(manufacturing). Thank You Just a little nervous
This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
6 REPLIES 6

Richard, Yes, it's relativelly straightforward, IF you have some familiarity with machine shop practices, etc. If you do, this can be a lot of fun, and VERY useful to the enterprise. In my own small design and prototyping business this capability puts me in a whole different world from where I would be without it. No conversion in and out of different packagaes, change the part and the tool paths update automatically, etc. etc. In my work I frequently get from design to finished parts and assemblies without paper. Good luck, and contact me here or by email if you would like any more information! David

"David Butz" wrote:

Richard, Yes, it's relativelly straightforward, IF you have some familiarity with machine shop practices, etc. If you do, this can be a lot of fun, and VERY useful to the enterprise. In my own small design and prototyping business this capability puts me in a whole different world from where I would be without it. No conversion in and out of different packagaes, change the part and the tool paths update automatically, etc. etc. In my work I frequently get from design to finished parts and assemblies without paper. Good luck, and contact me here or by email if you would like any more information! David

Richard, I'm not sure if that was a question about "these machines" handling tolerances. The quick answer is: not at all. You define machining sequences based on the nominal model. Of course, you can set your model to max or min of tolerances if you want, and you can define stock allowance in Pro/Manufacturing, but tolerances per se aren't really relevant. David

"David Butz" wrote:

Richard, I'm not sure if that was a question about "these machines" handling tolerances. The quick answer is: not at all. You define machining sequences based on the nominal model. Of course, you can set your model to max or min of tolerances if you want, and you can define stock allowance in Pro/Manufacturing, but tolerances per se aren't really relevant. David

Richard, Don't get miffed; tolerances are VERY VERY important, in fact essential. It's just that neither CAM software or "the machine" is the responsible agent. It's the person who runs the machine and chooses tools, machnining methods, settings, etc. to control the tolerances. In fact there are some subtle tools within the CAM world that the person uses to keep things in tolerance when run on CNC machines like cutter diameter offsets which might even be changed as a cutter wears in a long production run. Sophisticated machine tools even have ways of checking for tool wear and measuring parts while still in the machine, but, bottom line, CAM software is designed to tell the machine where to move based on some definite reference with the assumption that it is following the reference precisely. It works just fine for making parts in tolerance. David

The program created by ProE manufacturing is based on the tolerances created in the design model. If it is required that a feature of the part be machined to the high or low side of a piticular tolerance, than adjust the design model and the manufacturing sequences and their children will follow. Pretty straight forward. If you've never worked in a manufacturing environment or used ProE manufacturing than you're in for a ride! Sounds like baptism by fire! Good Luck!
Top Tags