cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you get an answer that solved your problem? Please mark it as an Accepted Solution so others with the same problem can find the answer easily. X

Recommended Lenovo equivalent to Dell Precision M6700?

pgibson
1-Newbie

Recommended Lenovo equivalent to Dell Precision M6700?

Hi All - my company has decided to change hardware suppliers and I now need to change out laptops to a Lenovo machine. I'm currently running a Dell M6700, nice big screen but very heavy. I do have a recommended hardware list from my local reseller but was looking for recommendations from those who are using Lenovo laptops.

Regards,

Pete.

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Pete,

Lenovo has been playing a lot of games with their workstation laptops.  Until recently, they had discontinued the 17" screens in favor of the more common 15.3".  Were they to still be in the W500-series of laptops, I would tell you to stay as far away as possible.  They messed up the touch pad and lost the ability to perform a middle mouse click (aka mouse button 3), which led to problems with Creo, as you can well imagine.

That said, it appears they are trying to do a 180 with the new P-series (the W500-series has been discontinued).  The P50 looks to be the new replacement for the W540 and has the old-style, 3-button touch pad again with the 15" screen and the P70 looks like a modern version of the old W701 with a 17" screen.  The only thing I would be wary of is the touch-screen they seem to want to put on everything.  It has a much lower resolution than the 4k screens that are also an option.

Unfortunately, I do not have a lot of hands-on time with the new series, nor do I have much feedback.  We only have one person in engineering that is using a P-series, and that person is one of the engineering managers.

I do not know what region you are in, but the Pro/Users of the Carolinas will be having their spring meeting at the Lenovo facility in Morrisville, NC on the 5th of May.  If you are in the area, it would be a good chance to talk to some of the people at Lenovo who work on the workstation systems.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Pete,

Lenovo has been playing a lot of games with their workstation laptops.  Until recently, they had discontinued the 17" screens in favor of the more common 15.3".  Were they to still be in the W500-series of laptops, I would tell you to stay as far away as possible.  They messed up the touch pad and lost the ability to perform a middle mouse click (aka mouse button 3), which led to problems with Creo, as you can well imagine.

That said, it appears they are trying to do a 180 with the new P-series (the W500-series has been discontinued).  The P50 looks to be the new replacement for the W540 and has the old-style, 3-button touch pad again with the 15" screen and the P70 looks like a modern version of the old W701 with a 17" screen.  The only thing I would be wary of is the touch-screen they seem to want to put on everything.  It has a much lower resolution than the 4k screens that are also an option.

Unfortunately, I do not have a lot of hands-on time with the new series, nor do I have much feedback.  We only have one person in engineering that is using a P-series, and that person is one of the engineering managers.

I do not know what region you are in, but the Pro/Users of the Carolinas will be having their spring meeting at the Lenovo facility in Morrisville, NC on the 5th of May.  If you are in the area, it would be a good chance to talk to some of the people at Lenovo who work on the workstation systems.

Thanks for the input, Larry. Much appreciated. I will forward the info on to our IT guy for info.

Top Tags