cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Need to share some code when posting a question or reply? Make sure to use the "Insert code sample" menu option. Learn more! X

Scallop_Height for Surface Milling

ArisTroulis
1-Newbie

Scallop_Height for Surface Milling

What is the difference between stepover and scallop height for surface milling? It seems that make no diference! I cannot have only scallop height without stepover. I also cannot keep constant value of stepover when the slope of the surface is changing.
This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
4 REPLIES 4

Aris, You have to set STEPOVER (Default value: -1); setting SCALLOP HEIGHT is an option. When both are set, the simple answer to your question is that, at any particular place in the tool path calculation, whichever setting gives you the better surface finish (smaller actual stepover) takes charge in the calculation, if necessary. For example, if you are using a Radius Mill (as opposed to a Ball Mill), any flat horizontal surface will probably be machined at the STEPOVER setting (Scallop Height = 0), whereas contoured surfaces will be governed by Scallop Height and the Corner Radius of the End Mill. David

Aris, I didn't answer your second question. If you want to force the system to maintain your STEPOVER value, a useful method is to select the Projected Cuts option in the Cut Definition dialog box. David

Thank you for your time. If I use default value for stepover(-1) pro/e don't allow to close the parameters window unless I set a positive value for stepover therefore i cannot have a parameter file with only scallop height value.

Aris That's right, but it really doesn't present a problem. SCALLOP HEIGHT will take over if it requires an actual stepover smaller than the nominal setting. Just set STEPOVER to any value smaller than the Tool Diameter. This is actually a benefit when doing something like Volume Milling because the tool will make "gross" stepover moves on the upper levels as it descends into the volume, then revert to the "finer" stepover moves controlled by SCALLOP HEIGHT when it reaches a bottom contoured surface. David
Top Tags