cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Need to share some code when posting a question or reply? Make sure to use the "Insert code sample" menu option. Learn more! X

Solid tools are useless ?

dtrabattoni
7-Bedrock

Solid tools are useless ?

Hi,

I checked a lot in this forum and over the internet but I can't find any help regarding the fact that you may use any profile geometry in Creo and that it is really taked into account in the toolpath generation. In the first photo there is a common tool geometry I use. It is like a bull mill but after the flute length there is a sloped section. I defined the tool like attached (maybe I did something wrong...I hope it !).

The fact is that Creo does not take into account the "sloped zone" and when I go down milling a pocket I get collision. I mean, the tool doesn't get far from the wall as the diameter increases due to sloping. How can I manage that ? Also the next step would be the possibility to create special shaped tools to mill special grooves along lines. At this stage I see this like impossible...DIEGO_TOOL .jpgdiego_special_tool.jpg

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Unfortunately I finally found the sad answer. It is not a matter of libraries or tool design. The fact is that Creo doesn't take into account any custom  geometry (neither that ridicolously easy geometry I sketched) in the toolpath calculation. So there is no solution...then change CAM. I invested so much time in testing this option again in order to re-buy it…(I used it many years ago...something like 20 years ago in Pro/E 2000i^2...so I already had some post-processors and knowledge...but it did non improve !).

I also tried multiple tip models...as if my tool would have been made by 2 flutes. But no way. The tool design is only taken into account in the NC CHECK to verify collisions.

You can use sketched tools only in trajectory milling or trajectory turning. Actuallly I'm working on Creo5 but got confirmation that even in Creo7 no improvements.

I attach some extracts from the help.

2020-06-09_091045.jpg

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

What tooling library are you currently using? 

Unfortunately I finally found the sad answer. It is not a matter of libraries or tool design. The fact is that Creo doesn't take into account any custom  geometry (neither that ridicolously easy geometry I sketched) in the toolpath calculation. So there is no solution...then change CAM. I invested so much time in testing this option again in order to re-buy it…(I used it many years ago...something like 20 years ago in Pro/E 2000i^2...so I already had some post-processors and knowledge...but it did non improve !).

I also tried multiple tip models...as if my tool would have been made by 2 flutes. But no way. The tool design is only taken into account in the NC CHECK to verify collisions.

You can use sketched tools only in trajectory milling or trajectory turning. Actuallly I'm working on Creo5 but got confirmation that even in Creo7 no improvements.

I attach some extracts from the help.

2020-06-09_091045.jpg

Top Tags