cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you get called away in the middle of writing a post? Don't worry you can find your unfinished post later in the Drafts section of your profile page. X

Surface modeling help

ptc-5471878
1-Newbie

Surface modeling help

I'm trying to model similar indentions on the side of a part using surfaces but it is not going to well. I came somewhat close to what I wanted a few times but I'm never able to put rounds on the indention I create. And at this point I would be happy just to be able to take the model I have and put rounds on it so that it can be machined with a 3/16 ball end mill(minimum 3/32 rads)

Any help or pointing me in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

I just recreated the part with the STEP as an underlay. There is some funny geometry at the bottom of the rounds that is creating havoc.

Also, there are some tangency issues created by the rounds which makes re-use dubious at best.

new_cup.PNG

Creo 2.0 attached

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

Wayne,

I assume you sent the STP to show what you want to end up with? The STP file has rounds on it.

Anyway - here is how I might do it.

create the drafted cylinder as a solid

create the indentation using surfacing - make the indent a fully enclosed quilt - "over-build" the quilt, meaning make to OD of the quilt larger than it needs to be - it will extend beyond the bottom of your pot.

The problem you are having with your rounds is most likely that they terminate in a zero thickness - a very small angle. the quilts will be big and chunky on the outside and easy to round.

After the quilt is made and rounded, pattern it and then cut>use quilt (old terminology) and ref pattern then shell...

Hopefully this is clear enough and your Pro skills are good enough to get the job done. I can probably throw together an example for tomorrow if no one else can today. Reply to this in the morning and I will be reminded then if you need it.

-Nate

I just recreated the part with the STEP as an underlay. There is some funny geometry at the bottom of the rounds that is creating havoc.

Also, there are some tangency issues created by the rounds which makes re-use dubious at best.

new_cup.PNG

Creo 2.0 attached

Lessen learned... I revolved both "faces" to 360 degrees. It was difficult to separate the inside surface into 4 pieces. There are some trim issues when trying to separate a single quilt. Therefore, you will find the outside is fully rotated and the inside is only a quarter. This resolved the feature failure issues when trying to merge the part into one.

This is a very stylized part. Both surfaces are curved. Pretty simple once you get past the Creo limitations.

Some stylized features may have been better using toroidal bends and other fancy wrapping techniques. But this one is fairly true to the original. It is always difficult when you don't have the original intent... a parametric reference, for instance.

Darn, got the thickness wrong. Just change it to .0396.

Thank you for the help!

I was trying to create multiple boundary blends and then trying to merge those together. Your way is much simpler.

Anytime, Wayne.

Top Tags