cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Visit the PTCooler (the community lounge) to get to know your fellow community members and check out some of Dale's Friday Humor posts! X

Volume milling, how to set entry angle or lead-in

coredaus
2-Guest

Volume milling, how to set entry angle or lead-in

I have a simple rectangular volume, an island of material, that is to be completely machined away.

I want to do it by doing a spiral path, starting on the outside, deep DOC, small stepover.

That is working fine, however I can't get it to 'lead-in' or ramp from a top-view.  Setting CUT_ENTRY_EXT to RAMP ramps during the initial plunge, which is not what I'm going for.  I want it to fully plunge in Z, then ramp into the material in X/Y (top) plane.

In second image below, the actual path it is generating is the red and yellow arrows.  yellow arrow is how cutter is moving straight into the material (perpendicular to wall).  I want a 'ramp/lead' like the blue dotted line.  yellow circle is the initial plunge outside the volume.

I've tried all the options in CUT_ENTRY_EXT to no avail...

Any ideas?  Thank you for looking

Creo3.0 M040

vol milling 2.jpg

vol milling 3.jpg

vol milling 1.jpg

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
1 REPLY 1
RaphMORIN
13-Aquamarine
(To:coredaus)

Hi Corry, I don't think this is possible. Ramp works only on Z as far as I know.

Top Tags