cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you get an answer that solved your problem? Please mark it as an Accepted Solution so others with the same problem can find the answer easily. X

find equation of model's surface or equation of datum curve

acedill1
1-Newbie

find equation of model's surface or equation of datum curve

Hello, I have a mold that I created in ProE (not using the manufacturing "mold cavity" option, this is just a PART file. This mold is used to create a rubber model that looks like two hills with a valley in between on top of an elliptical disk (problem uploading image) My issue is that I want to find the exact equation of the surface of the model. Note: this means finding the equation of the indented surface of the "mold". Is there a way that this can be done in ProE? Or maybe, is there a way to extract the equation of a datum curve given that it wasn't created with an imported equation? Any help would be great. (If ProE knows the location of the contours, created by cross-sections, doesn't it know the location of the surface? I've tried picking plenty of points along the contours (datum curves) and fitting a polynomial through them (for each contour) but this is still not the exact equation of the contours. It seems like I should be able to click a surface, define some boundary (ellipse) and ProE will spit out an equation of that surface.)
This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
5 REPLIES 5
CM10
1-Newbie
(To:acedill1)

I seriousy doubt there's a way to get the data you want. Sorry.
DavidButz
1-Newbie
(To:CM10)

I'm curious. How exactly did you try "fitting a polynomial" to the Datum Points you created within Pro/E? Hey, FS, I was in your fair city overnight on vacation a week ago. (First time there, Dakota boy who has spent his adult life in Massachusetts.) Stayed with my wife in the Red Lion overlooking the falls, excellent dinner @ Collage, Museum of Idaho the next day. We had a great time there!

Fitting the polynomial can be done with Matlab using 'polyfit' on a set of points. I eventually just created a piecewise polynomial of the cross-sectional profile. The key was a batch file that took the .igs file and extracted the points and put them in an excel file. http://www.mcadcentral.com/proe/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=23838&KW=export+points+excel

Kinda grasping at straws here, but did you check the order of the polynomial in Matlab? Someone told me many years ago that the Pro/E engine uses 9th order polynomials, but I couldn't confirm that that's the case, or even if it's remotely relevant for your particular geometry.
CM10
1-Newbie
(To:DavidButz)

"David Butz" wrote:

I'm curious. How exactly did you try "fitting a polynomial" to the Datum Points you created within Pro/E? Hey, FS, I was in your fair city overnight on vacation a week ago. (First time there, Dakota boy who has spent his adult life in Massachusetts.) Stayed with my wife in the Red Lion overlooking the falls, excellent dinner @ Collage, Museum of Idaho the next day. We had a great time there!

Top Tags