cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Learn all about the Community Ranking System, a fun gamification element of the PTC Community. X

mold shrinkage value

asifcad
12-Amethyst

mold shrinkage value

Can't understand how do I put these shrinkage value(see jpeg) on my model.. please any one guide me...0.0050cm/cm
....or 0.0050in/in...????what does it mean

Regards
Asif

10 REPLIES 10
btarby
4-Participant
(To:asifcad)

Asif, have you tried the following?

Step 1: Open the model of the part that you are tryinig to apply shrinkage to.

Step 2: Click the file drop down tab, scroll down to "Prepare" then clock "Model Properties".

Step 3: Under the "Tools" catagory you will see the value Shrinkage and all the way to the right there is a link that says "change".

Step 4: Once you click on change, you will be allowed to apply shrinkage by either scaling, or by dimension.

I hope this helped, best of luck

regards, Ben.

asifcad
12-Amethyst
(To:btarby)

Thanks Ben for your reply.... I know how to use shrinkage dialogue box in creo..but what confusing me is the value which I take from metweb..of that plastic...as 0.0050cm/cm.or
0.005in/in....if I work in millimeters...then what should I have to put in shrinkage column.....
btarby
4-Participant

I would say if you are using millimeters it would be a safe bet to use .050 mm, which would be the same as .005cm.

Usually I use shrinkage by scaling when working with molded parts.

asifcad
12-Amethyst

Sir if you see the jpeg in highlighted area ..there are two units one is metric and 2nd is imperial... but both have same value except units...cm/cm...and in/in..here I am confuse...
Sorry for these question if you feel it children type questions..
btarby
4-Participant

I apologize for the confusion.

Judging from the data I found and the data you provided we can both agree that per imperial units .005 in/in seems to be correct.

Convert and this is what you get.

.005 in/in equals .127mm

dgschaefer
21-Topaz II

@btarby wrote:

I apologize for the confusion.

Judging from the data I found and the data you provided we can both agree that per imperial units .005 in/in seems to be correct.

Convert and this is what you get.

.005 in/in equals .127mm

Actually, no, shrinkage is a ratio. Both the numerator and denomonator have units, so you have to convert both, but as you'll see it doesn't matter.

0.005 in / 1 in =

0.127 mm / 1 in =

0.127 mm / 25.4 mm =

0.005 mm / 1 mm

--
Doug Schaefer | Experienced Mechanical Design Engineer
LinkedIn
asifcad
12-Amethyst
(To:dgschaefer)

Respected
Doug Schaefer and other experts.. thank you very much for your valuable time which you spend in my issue.....now what I understand that I simply put that value 0.0050 in creo shrinkage dialogue box no matter which unit I use...please see attach jpeg

Regards
Asid
asifcad
12-Amethyst

Please see attach JPEG... about my understanding....

Asif
KenFarley
21-Topaz I

Are you asking what the shrinkage values mean in terms of the physics behind it? Basic concepts? Or are you asking how we'd use those values to build a model for a mold?

dgschaefer
21-Topaz II

@asifcad wrote:
Can't understand how do I put these shrinkage value(see jpeg) on my model.. please any one guide me...0.0050cm/cm
....or 0.0050in/in...????what does it mean

Regards
Asif

Mold shrinkage is a ratio, the units don't matter.  Notice that the value is the same, 0.005, for both metric and English.  It's 0.005 inches of shrinkage per 1 inch or 0.005 cm per 1 cm.  The same would be true of mm or km or yards or whatever.  

What it is saying is that it shrinks 1/2 of one percent. In other words, for each 1 unit of length it will shrink 0.005 units.

--
Doug Schaefer | Experienced Mechanical Design Engineer
LinkedIn
Top Tags