cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Want the oppurtunity to discuss enhancements to PTC products? Join a working group! X

thread milling

ptc-2262129
1-Newbie

thread milling

I am trying to use cutter comp with thread milling. I am constantly recieving the following error message: Output on profile failed - tool path with CUTCOM command is not planar. Turn off CUTCOM to fix. Does anyone uderstand what this may be pertaining to? Thanks in advance for any help you gan give. Jim Green
This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
5 REPLIES 5

Jim, I haven't seen this because I never tried putting CUTCOM into a thread milling sequence. However, I suspect it has something to do with the 3-D complexity of the tool path. CUTCOM becomes more of an issue when you try to include a "Z-move", and that's with some kind of planar tool path. Your situation is worse because the path itself is not planar. I would have to experiment to confirm my suspicions, but I'm guessing this is the source of the problem. Do you have room to add some appropriate straight line approach moves to your spiral path, and invoke CUTCOM relative to them? David

Hi, "Tool Edge Output" for CUTCOM (ie workcell parameter Output cutter position set to "Tool Edge") is not available for non-planar toolpaths. The warning is provided according to the specifications, and this limitation has always existed. To avoid this, you could Set Output Cutter Position within the Workcell to "Tool Center" rather than "Tool Edge".

Thread milling is one common and simple operation in which a shop floor is almost always in need to have a cutter compensation in NC program, for example to make a thread tolerance equal to his pair. I personally think that limitations need to be set in software (especially in one of leading CAD-CAM software with leading prices) according to the basic needs of customers, and not to limit the customer with things like "limitation has always existed".

"Budza Budakovic" wrote:

Thread milling is one common and simple operation in which a shop floor is almost always in need to have a cutter compensation in NC program, for example to make a thread tolerance equal to his pair. I personally think that limitations need to be set in software (especially in one of leading CAD-CAM software with leading prices) according to the basic needs of customers, and not to limit the customer with things like "limitation has always existed".

The following reality: This "limitation" is either your POST and/or your MACHINE. It is NOT ProNC. In order to "comp" something the move turning on the comp must be longer than the amount of comp you want. All moves in the "path" must also be longer than the amount of comp. Soooo If you are posting this as point to point there is a REAL good chance even if you get output with comp. The machine will laugh at it. Code @ output needs to be something on the order of: G03 X?? Y?? Z?? I?? J?? I comp thread mill all the time. Comps just fine on the machines I support. This must be setup correctly on the machine and in the post. Best regards, Sean
Top Tags