cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you get an answer that solved your problem? Please mark it as an Accepted Solution so others with the same problem can find the answer easily. X

Can Creo machine a helix bore?

rcordova
4-Participant

Can Creo machine a helix bore?

Anybody out there know to do a helix bore tool path in Creo?  I want to use a high speed machining to rough out a large bore.

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
SteveLucas
13-Aquamarine
(To:rcordova)

Rick,

What version of Creo are you on? You can do a helix cut in a bore with trajectory milling.There are a couple of nice improvements in the latest build of Creo 3.0 M040 where you can set the helical cut depth right from the trajectory tab.

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14
SteveLucas
13-Aquamarine

Rick,

What version of Creo are you on? You can do a helix cut in a bore with trajectory milling.There are a couple of nice improvements in the latest build of Creo 3.0 M040 where you can set the helical cut depth right from the trajectory tab.

rcordova
4-Participant
(To:SteveLucas)

Steve, I'm using Creo 2.0 M120.

I'm need to cut a 2.87" bore about 2.75" deep (thru hole).  Normally we would use a large insert drill to hog out the material then chase it with a boring bar but my machine has limits when pushing a large drill through 316L SS.
My tool vendor is suggesting I try their high-feed end mill in a helical motion to hog out material.

Can you provide a little more detail on how to setup a trajectory milling sequence?

I use custom trajectory milling sequences in programs now.

SteveLucas
13-Aquamarine

Rick,

Not sure I can help you it's been a while since creo 2.0 and I am having a serious lapse in memory on how to helical mill in creo 2.

I know it can be done if you give me a while so I can look up some stuff in my archives when I get a minute free  I will send it to you or if some one else can help please feel free to jump in.

Steve

rcordova
4-Participant
(To:SteveLucas)

I think I just figured it out.  I will try running it thru my post processor now.

Patriot_1776
22-Sapphire II

Not sure what you mean by "helix bore" tool path.  Do you mean for the "bore" of a firearm or heavy gun?  If so, you could easily use a VSS (Variable Section Sweep).

Frank,

He's trying to define a toolpath to move a cutting tool along a helical path. The variable section sweep is to create a feature, but doesn't really apply to toolpath creation. Unless, of course, you are trying the cut the resulting geometry. Egads.

Patriot_1776
22-Sapphire II
(To:KenFarley)

Right.....but isn't the toolpath derived from the geometry created by the designer?

The problems I've had with helical or swept cuts, is that it doesn't actually remove material like a rotary cutter would, you're just sweeping a 2D section.

That is one area where Solidworks has an edge, the ability to remove material using solid bodies......

This is a particular manufacturing case where a cylinder of material is being removed by a helical cut using an end mill. The geometry represents a straight plunge, like a drill, but the hole is usually flat bottomed requiring an end mill. Sometimes it is done in two ops - a large drill is used to core out the material and then a helical mill path is used to clean it up and produce the flat bottom.

Patriot_1776
22-Sapphire II
(To:dschenken)

Ahhh, I get it now.  So the resulting hole is a simple cylinder, not a "rifled" barrel.  You're using a helix to limit the amount of material removed per revolution of the tool path because it's too deep to plunge the cutter to the bottom, and simply do a circular path at the bottom.

Good luck!

rcordova
4-Participant
(To:EricVidra)

Thanks

rcordova
4-Participant

Thank you to all who responded to my post.  I appreciate the quick replies too.

I would use an extruded mill surface and cutline milling vs. trajectory milling.  The only issue I have with it is that occasionally it doesn't make a constant Z swipe at the bottom to complete the hole's bottom.  More often than not, it works fine.

SteveLucas
13-Aquamarine
(To:razmosis)

Matt,

It is a matter of preference as far as cutline vs. trajectory. I prefer the trajectory method because I don't have to make an extruded mill surface and I can set the depth of my trajectory cut with a plane that goes deeper than the bore if it is through the part which is nice for a drift pass to get beyond the used cut portion of an end mill.

Steve

Top Tags