cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Have a PTC product question you need answered fast? Chances are someone has asked it before. Learn about the community search. X

Creating Custom Drill Cycles

mz
1-Newbie
1-Newbie

Creating Custom Drill Cycles

Hi,

I'm trying to create a "custom" drill cycle for a gun drilling application on my NH4000 Horizontal. This requires a the gun drill to enter a counter bore with the spindle off, then fire up the spindle and coolant, feed to depth, feed out to counter bore area, stop spindle, retract to cleanance plane, move to next hole and repeat. I was wondering if anyone has had to create a similar tool path and if so, how? I'm under pressure for these parts and will end up hand coding to get it done, but would much rather have a clean file for any future revisions or reposts. Thanks,

Matt.

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
5 REPLIES 5
Thom
9-Granite
(To:mz)

Matt, Give this a try.

Of course the Start and End are like a normal cycle, however there are some cycle references you will have to answer in the reference tab - "drill start" is actually the cbore surface (or a distance from start surface)where you want to start drilling. (it will not add clear. dist here), "out feed" is the retract feed from the end surface to the cbore surface (if you want rapid use "0"), "feed to start" is a feed rate from the clearance plane to the cbore start (you can use a feed rate to enter the cbore or "0" for rapid), "orig speed" is the RPM you want to use to drill,"dwell" is any delay you want at the bottom of the hole (that can be "0").

For your parameters you will have to select the "All" for some advanced params. Most will work as usual however, set "Cycle_Format" to GOTO, "Clear_Dist" and "Pullout_Dist" will work for your clearance plane normally, make "Spindle_Speed" 0 because it will not use this speed but needs a value, "Spindle_Status" needs to be "OFF" to keep it from starting at the beginning. "Spindle_Sense" doesn"t mater because it is going to go CW. "Coolant_Option" should be "off" to keep it from starting at the beginning (it will use "Thru" when it starts the spindle).

Let me know if you have any questions.

Good Luck,

Thom

SteveLucas
13-Aquamarine
(To:Thom)

Thom,

Nice drill cycle. Can that be made to peck drill ? I haven't played with custom drill cycles before.

Steve

Thom
9-Granite
(To:SteveLucas)

Steve,

There is an option for Deep and Breakchip motion but I have never gotten them to work yet.

Thom

Thom
9-Granite

Steve,

This is supposed to have been fixed in Creo 2.0 M090.

Thom

SteveLucas
13-Aquamarine

Thanks for info Thom,

Sorry for the late reply, I have been on vacation and will look at it when I get a chance after I get caught up. I am on Creo 2.0 M090 so should be good.

Top Tags