cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Learn all about the Community Ranking System, a fun gamification element of the PTC Community. X

How to find the angles for elbows at the end of hose in Pro Piping to avoid twisting the hose

ShandRonnie
5-Regular Member

How to find the angles for elbows at the end of hose in Pro Piping to avoid twisting the hose

With Pro/Piping you can route a pipeline through a long and complex 3D path.
Sometimes you are forced to install one elbow hose fitting at each end of the hose.
Howcan Iget from Pro/E theangle orientation between elbows required at manufacturing the hose to avoid having to twist the hose later at final assembly?

I know that you can run a Pro Piping report that shows al the twist angles of each individualpipeline segment.
Is there an easy and fast way for Pro/E to do kind of a sheetmetal flat pattern of the hose and report the angle between the two end connectors?

I'll post a summary of your replies.

Thanks,
Ronnie Shand

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
4 REPLIES 4
mjenkins
5-Regular Member
(To:ShandRonnie)

You can just download some elbow fittings from McMaster Carr or Parker and put a point at the start of the fitting opening and a point at the end of the fitting opening. If you then use the fitting in your assembly and use the attached procedure to create the tubing then you will have an accurate length reported in the report?

ShandRonnie
5-Regular Member

Routing the pipeline and making the solid final hose is not the issue here.

My original question was on how to find the clocking angle between two end elbow fittings for manufacturing to make a hose that later at assembly will show no twist in the rubber portion of the hose.
After many talks with PTC there is a way to find the clocking angle, but it only works for hoses that are routed using flexible routing line shapes.
For this to work you need to create a "straight pipeline shape" at each end of your hose and then route the rest of the pipeline between these two straight segments using only "flexible line shape".
Line shapes are located under the "Piping Environment Menu".
To find the clocking angle, go to:
Report Pipeline, Clocking Angle, Select the pipeline, and Select the two entry ports
The clocking angle is now reported

This is the original question that I posted:
With Pro/Piping you can route a pipeline through a long and complex 3D path.
Sometimes you are forced to install one elbow hose fitting at each end of the hose.
How can I get from Pro/E the angle orientation between elbows required at manufacturing the hose to avoid having to twist the hose later at final assembly?
I know that you can run a Pro Piping report that shows al the twist angles of each individual pipeline segment.
Is there an easy and fast way for Pro/E to do kind of a sheetmetal flat pattern of the hose and report the angle between the two end connectors?

Regards,
Ronnie Shand

Probably not the answer you are looking for, but I have always stuck to the "goal/target/desire" of making sure every hose ONLY has a single angled fitting. If the hose has a straight fitting on one end and an angled fitting on the other, there is no worry about twist other than the installer being rather ham-fisted so to say...

good luck...
Paul Korenkiewicz
"free lance"...

ShandRonnie
5-Regular Member

I totally agree that whenever possible do not design a hose with more than one angled fitting.
Most of the times you can do the maximum of one angled fitting because if another angled fitting is needed then assemble an angled single fitting (not part of your hose) at the location where you want the hose with that straight connector to attach to.

Regards,
Ronnie Shand
Top Tags