cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can subscribe to a forum, label or individual post and receive email notifications when someone posts a new topic or reply. Learn more! X

How to model a basic plastic gear?

bowlofnoodle
1-Newbie

How to model a basic plastic gear?

I have been look for few hours for information on how to draw a plastic gear such as the one in the picture attached.

It is not the involute gear. Instead it is a basic teeth gear that is used in many household products.

I really cannot find any information on the Internet. I am looking for information on drawing the base circle, calculating teeth and diameter, teeth size etc.

The gear will be cut using a laser cutter. It will be used for household products and toys.

Can someone point me in the right direction?

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
1 REPLY 1

What makes you think those gears are not based on conventional practices?

These guys have a huge assortment of gears and 3D models and some excellent shared knowledge based on the industry:

http://www.qtcgears.com/

Anyone selling gears should have the relevant datasheets to back them up. In those sheets you will find the intended usage of the gears you are considering. There is no reason to think that just because they are used in household products or toys that they are not held to convention in their design. Typically, designers only change fundamentals to suit materials, processes or life cycles.

Top Tags