cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can change your system assigned username to something more personal in your community settings. X

MDX - open belt

ccire
1-Newbie

MDX - open belt

Hi all,

I can't find any way to modelize an open belt.

I would like to do so to simulate an echain carrying cables on my machine.

I tried to do it with relations but this would work only after regenerating and would not move on the fly as I move the other moving components I defined with MDX.

Any solution ?

Thank you

Eric

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
4 REPLIES 4
TomD.inPDX
17-Peridot
(To:ccire)

Hello Cire and welcome to the forum.

I don't think you will find a way to have this work and have the simulation do as you want. It is truly a lacking function that you cannot regenerate a part during the animation. Only a few things update during animation, but geometry is not one of them.

However, you might be able to trick the system. I might suggest "telescoping rods" that have linear motion ties to them. As the model moves, the rods mesh inside each other on one side, and pull apart on the other. This will limit edge display and may cause graphic artifacts, but it is the only way I can see simulating this.

Ok, thank you very much for your answer, this is what I feared.

As for the trick, the way I use echain does allow good results doing like this.

I guess I just have to create and animate each and any of the links of the echain !

Thanks again.

TomD.inPDX
17-Peridot
(To:ccire)

You might still be able to do this with mechanism...

I did this with a series of links constrained to a curve.

A servo motor pulled the chain along the curve.

The only problem I had with this was managing velocity.

Video Link : 5162

Ok I finally ended up adding a few links with pivot connexion to do the job. Moving the machine is slow but at least I can see what I want !

Sans titre.jpg

Top Tags