cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - If community subscription notifications are filling up your inbox you can set up a daily digest and get all your notifications in a single email. X

Mold splitting issues: volumes switching after modifying a parting surface

rzukowski
11-Garnet

Mold splitting issues: volumes switching after modifying a parting surface

We are using Creo 4.0 M100 to design die casting dies using the mold splitting tools in the Tool Design option.  Since moving to Creo 4.0 a few years ago, we are having problems with mold volumes switching after modifying a parting-surface; cavity half insert geometry switches to the ejector side and visa versa.  This wreaks havoc on the extracted mold components and the rest of the mold design.  This is especially painful when doing revisions to an existing mold design.

We are using the "volume split" tool along with parting-surfaces to create the volumes.  It's almost like Creo reassigns the geometry do different sides of the parting surface at random.

I find several occurrences of this issue in the knowledge base.  Each occurrence says resolved in an earlier version than what we are currently running.

Has anyone else had this issue?  If so, how have you dealt with it?  Is there a better / more robust technic for splitting / creating mold volumes?

We have been using PTC software since 1997, but this problem is a real kick in the pants.

3 REPLIES 3
spaggioli1
6-Contributor
(To:rzukowski)

We have the same issues and did not find a resolution to this. We use parting surfaces and then create volumes with them the same as you. Interested in the response to this question. The only help I can offer and you probably already know when they do switch and fail if you go to the one before the failure and change the volumes they can usually be fixed. The other issue we hate with the newer volumes is the amount of things we have to attach to mold volumes. We have a lot of parts that have blind pockets that it always separates into additional volumes that need to be attached. 

I received a reply from PTC tech support:

"I am writing to inform you that SPR 10103038 has been fixed in Creo Parametric 4.0 M140."

M140 is scheduled for release in October.  Hopefully, this solves the issue once and for all.

lthcastings
6-Contributor
(To:rzukowski)

Hello!

Has this issue been resolved in M140 build? I can not see SPR 10103038 in

The fixed known SPR/issue list about Creo Parametric 4.0 specific datecode 

According to my test issue still persist in M140. Can you report please @rzukowski.

Thank you!

Regards!

Top Tags