cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - If community subscription notifications are filling up your inbox you can set up a daily digest and get all your notifications in a single email. X

Re-roughing Question

NickMihelich
6-Contributor

Re-roughing Question

Since when could we reference a roughing sequence from a diffrent operation (diffrent orientation even) for a re-roughing? I remember not being able to do this but I just tried it for a goof today and it worked! So am I remembering incorrectly?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Nick,

The system will allow you to reference a "Roughing" sequence from a previous operation, but it does not behave as one would hope.

I tried it and the "Re-rough" did not rough areas that the "Roughing" sequence did not have access to. I used a plate with pockets on both sides, and all "Re-rough" did as act like the "Roughing" actually roughed the second op pocket on the opposite side, and just did some "Profile" cuts. It would be really nice if the did work though.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

When was this turned on? I was always under the impression that you were only allowed to reference a roughing sequence within the same operation.

Nick,

So what you are saying is you can rough in one operation, then go back and do a rerough from a new operation?

Like with a mold cavity / core block you could rough it in one operation then heat treat the block then create a new operation for after heat treat.Then reference the roughing sequence from the previous operation then rerough and finish?

Sounds interesting... never tried it.

Yes or in my case I only have 3 axis mills so I usually have multiple setups (flipping my parts). Now I'm not saying that the re-roughing path is correct or not I'm just saying it is allowing me to ref roughing sequences from other operations. I hope to have more time today to test this idea and if anyone else is willing to give it a try that would be great.

Nick,

The system will allow you to reference a "Roughing" sequence from a previous operation, but it does not behave as one would hope.

I tried it and the "Re-rough" did not rough areas that the "Roughing" sequence did not have access to. I used a plate with pockets on both sides, and all "Re-rough" did as act like the "Roughing" actually roughed the second op pocket on the opposite side, and just did some "Profile" cuts. It would be really nice if the did work though.

Top Tags