cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Need help navigating or using the PTC Community? Contact the community team. X

SIDE MILLING - hard steel

NickMihelich
6-Contributor

SIDE MILLING - hard steel

CONSTANT LOAD - tool path with small (.010) retracts.

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
7 REPLIES 7

Nick,

How do you keep the cutter from retracting? I am using constant load cutting and it works good but we loose some productivity because the cutter retracts between each step over. Any advice?

You can download that file and look at where my retract plane is set. You must be very carful about gouge checking this is more of a 50/50 solution it only works correctly half the time

You use this for facing the pocket? You cand use FACES ONLY I think. Or pocketing with STEP DEPTH > HEIGHT of the pocket.

I use this type of sequence to perform a high speed side milling in hardend tool steel. The micro retracts really save on tool ware. It is a kind of poor mans volumill... if you will. Unfortunatly there seems to be no gouge checking when this type of retract(below the work part) is used.

Nick,

I have been using your roughing sequence since you posted it a while ago. It works great I think!! But like you say you really need to gouge check and watch the retracts.But it's a great time saver for roughing open pockets when you can start outside the work.

Nick, what's the HRC of your steel?

around 54-55 Rockwell. I will usually run 250-350 surface feet with .005" chip load per tooth usually at a full daim depth of cut.

Top Tags