cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you know you can set a signature that will be added to all your posts? Set it here! X

Slot along a path

mvanderlugt
1-Newbie

Slot along a path

Hi,

I would like to create a slot along a path to create the same results and in the picture below.

slot.png

However I would like to do it slightly differently by sketching a circle on the origin and have that circle follow the path to create a slot just like a mill would do by plunging the cutter into the workpiece. I am at a loss on how to do this or if it is even possible in Creo 3.0.

I can get close but any options would require a plunge depth that I do not think exists

I hope I am making sense.

Thank you for any help offered.

Miles.

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
TomU
23-Emerald IV
(To:mvanderlugt)

The sweeps in Creo are planar sections and do not accurately represent what a circular cutting tool does as it moves along a path.  Take a look as these two discussion for more info:

Barrel Cam Modeling

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
TomU
23-Emerald IV
(To:mvanderlugt)

The sweeps in Creo are planar sections and do not accurately represent what a circular cutting tool does as it moves along a path.  Take a look as these two discussion for more info:

Barrel Cam Modeling

Thank you Tom.

It is as I thought then. I can get on with the rest of my life now. 😉

For 2d type of milling that your image suggests, using a sweep feature which cross-section is normal to trajectory will accurately represent a rotating cutter removing material:

SWEEP_TEST.png

So you can create the entire slot with a group of 3 features: the circular extrusions at the beginning and end of the "toolpath", and the sweep in-between.

attached is creo 2.0 example.

Thank you Paul,

That is close to how I currently do it. I just wondered if it could be created with a single feature.

I like the way you have verified it though. I will be using that method to double check some of my more complex designs.

Top Tags