cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can change your system assigned username to something more personal in your community settings. X

Upgrading Manager Server to v19 from v18.10

DanAdler
12-Amethyst

Upgrading Manager Server to v19 from v18.10

I am currently running Manager Server 18.10 M050 using SQL Server 2008 R2 in Windows Server 2008 R2 x64. I am planning to upgrade to Manager Server 19.00 M040 on a different machine running Windows Server 2012 R2 x64 and SQL Server 2012. What is the proper order of operations for making this upgrade and move? Should I first upgrade to v19 on the old server and then move the database over to the new server? Or should I move the 18 database over to the new machine, restore the db in SQL Server, and then install Manager Server 19? Do I need to have Manager Server 18 installed on the new server first if I am going to do it this way? Any guidance with this is greatly appreciated. Thanks for your help!

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
6 REPLIES 6

Hi Daniel,

Just install SQL Server 2012 and import the database of your old server into it. Try to use the same instance name as on the old server.

Then install Manager Server 19.0 onto the new server. Within this process, you will need to specify the location and database name of your database.

The installation will automatically upgrade the database scheme to version 19.

After the installation, you should copy your custom.xml and maybe also some other files that you have customized on the old server.

Best regards,

Wim.

DanAdler
12-Amethyst
(To:wvangeem)

Thanks Wim. I'm dealing with a syntax error now and am working with PTC support to resolve it.

Are you familiar with the new Java File Server? Can I change my existing file server to java or is this only for new file servers? Would it be worthwhile to do if I am able to? We have about 25 users.

Is the "Syntax error" related to Triggers in SQL Server?

If yes, a solution is described here:

https://support.ptc.com/appserver/cs/view/solution.jsp?n=CS190276

The "Trigger Syntax Error" is a general issue of Model Manager on SQL Server

Every customer who started with V 17 (or earlier) on a SQL Server will be affected.

Hi Daniel,

I think you will have to reinstall the File Server Service when you want to switch to the Java File Server.

It's one of the options when configuring the File Server.

Currently I have no experience with it. According to the help, it's only necessary when connecting a lot of clients. I see you have 25 users, that's not that much.

If I were you, I would test it on a separate server before changing your production machine.

We already did some performance tests before and the speed of the MM file server is almost as good as a normal file copy. So in my opinion, it's only necessary when you have a lot of users.

I fully Support Wim's Statement.

25 Clients are no reason to Switch the File Server to a brand-new implementation - first introduced with with V19.

Never Change a running System, unless you have very good reasons.

Is there anybody out there using the Java File Server?

Thanks for your responses Max and Wim.

Yes the syntax error was related to triggers in SQL Server. It took a couple weeks to get it resolved because the SQL statements that PTC support had needed some tweaking. We are past that now and I have a development server running v19 with a Java File Server. I am going to do some testing this week before deciding what to do on our production server.

Top Tags