cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can Bookmark boards, posts or articles that you'd like to access again easily! X

Volume Milling in CREO 2

JasonPensack
1-Newbie

Volume Milling in CREO 2

We just upgraded from WF4 to Creo 2 and Volume milling doesn't have the new interface that the other toolpaths do. Is PTC phasing out Volume Milling?

If so, I use the rough and profile option a lot when roughing so that the operator can adjust the amount of stock left on the walls using cutter comp. Is there another way to do this using another sequence?

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
7 REPLIES 7

Jason,

that's quite a step going from WF4 to Creo2.0.

I don't believe they are phasing out volume milling I think it's not the preferred method any more so they haven't upgraded the interface for it as of yet. The preferred method is either using mill window or the roughing and finishing with a mill window. I know when I started with manufacturing it was always mill volumes and profiles for everything I did. Now after using WF5 and Creo it is mostly mill windows for roughing and finishing with the occasional mill volume and profile. For a lot of stuff I am using more volume rough sequences with mill windows.That seems to be a good substitute along with trajectory milling. I find there is a lot of added functionality and ease of use with the trajectory milling sequences.

You have made a big jump with this upgrade and I would suggest to look at some tutorials and or PTC U for training to get up to speed with the new software. I took me a while to getused to it.

this probably doesn't help but it's my take on it

Steve

Steve

Thanks for the info. I like how the roughing toolpath works, i just wish you could put comp in there on the last pass when pocketing out. As for the jump from WF 4 to CREO 2, it is quite a change. We have the E-Learning library so I am hoping to start going through some of the tutorials soon. Thanks for the advice!

Jason

Jason,

I was viewing tutorials on the Learning Exchange and came across some milling examples. You may find this one one of particular interest - Modifying Volume Milling Toolpaths

A keyword search came up with quite a 20 or so results too - See results

-Dan

Gentlemen,

I am relatively new to programming using Pro NC and I am wondering if anyone knows much about the "CONSTANT LOAD" function for rough voluming. Everytime I try to use it in a closed pocket it retracts when it encounters a wall. It creates a 3D curve retract back to the retract plane for the sequence. I have had success going through channels but I had to use a retract plane that was just above my cut plane. It doesn't seem very safe to create a retract plane that is down inside a pocket.

I would appreciate any insight or links to tutorials about this tool path. It looks like Mastercam has Pro beat in this area.

-Scott

Dale_Rosema
23-Emerald III
(To:ptc-4688327)

Scott,

You may want to post as a new discussion. Some will see that the question has been answered and skip opening this discussion.

Thanks Dale. I will start a new discussion.

Roughing sequences should be getting cutter comp added in the future but not sure when. I would bet volume milling will get removed eventually. Other options for roughing and profiling would be sepearte sequences but you could save them off with the process manager to save some clicks.

Top Tags