Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

mold shrinkage value

Level 7

mold shrinkage value

Can't understand how do I put these shrinkage value(see jpeg) on my model.. please any one guide me...0.0050cm/cm
....or 0.0050in/in...????what does it mean

Regards
Asif

10 REPLIES 10

Re: mold shrinkage value

Asif, have you tried the following?

Step 1: Open the model of the part that you are tryinig to apply shrinkage to.

Step 2: Click the file drop down tab, scroll down to "Prepare" then clock "Model Properties".

Step 3: Under the "Tools" catagory you will see the value Shrinkage and all the way to the right there is a link that says "change".

Step 4: Once you click on change, you will be allowed to apply shrinkage by either scaling, or by dimension.

I hope this helped, best of luck

regards, Ben.

Are you asking what the shrinkage values mean in terms of the physics behind it? Basic concepts? Or are you asking how we'd use those values to build a model for a mold?

Thanks Ben for your reply.... I know how to use shrinkage dialogue box in creo..but what confusing me is the value which I take from metweb..of that plastic...as 0.0050cm/cm.or
0.005in/in....if I work in millimeters...then what should I have to put in shrinkage column.....

I would say if you are using millimeters it would be a safe bet to use .050 mm, which would be the same as .005cm.

Usually I use shrinkage by scaling when working with molded parts.

Sir if you see the jpeg in highlighted area ..there are two units one is metric and 2nd is imperial... but both have same value except units...cm/cm...and in/in..here I am confuse...
Sorry for these question if you feel it children type questions..

I apologize for the confusion.

Judging from the data I found and the data you provided we can both agree that per imperial units .005 in/in seems to be correct.

Convert and this is what you get.

.005 in/in equals .127mm

@asifcad wrote:
Can't understand how do I put these shrinkage value(see jpeg) on my model.. please any one guide me...0.0050cm/cm
....or 0.0050in/in...????what does it mean

Regards
Asif

Mold shrinkage is a ratio, the units don't matter.  Notice that the value is the same, 0.005, for both metric and English.  It's 0.005 inches of shrinkage per 1 inch or 0.005 cm per 1 cm.  The same would be true of mm or km or yards or whatever.  

What it is saying is that it shrinks 1/2 of one percent. In other words, for each 1 unit of length it will shrink 0.005 units.

--
Doug Schaefer | Engineering Manager
Crow Works

@btarby wrote:

I apologize for the confusion.

Judging from the data I found and the data you provided we can both agree that per imperial units .005 in/in seems to be correct.

Convert and this is what you get.

.005 in/in equals .127mm

Actually, no, shrinkage is a ratio. Both the numerator and denomonator have units, so you have to convert both, but as you'll see it doesn't matter.

0.005 in / 1 in =

0.127 mm / 1 in =

0.127 mm / 25.4 mm =

0.005 mm / 1 mm

--
Doug Schaefer | Engineering Manager
Crow Works

Respected
Doug Schaefer and other experts.. thank you very much for your valuable time which you spend in my issue.....now what I understand that I simply put that value 0.0050 in creo shrinkage dialogue box no matter which unit I use...please see attach jpeg

Regards
Asid