cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you know you can set a signature that will be added to all your posts? Set it here! X

profile milling

LarryAnderson
1-Newbie

profile milling

All,

I would like to know which type of tool path would allow the Z axis to advance as the tool profiles around the inside of a window. I am trying to get rid of tool retracts that happen for each depth of cut. Also I'm not sure which parameter would control the Z depth as the tool cuts around each window.

Any help would be appreciated.

Best Regards,

Larry

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
2 REPLIES 2

Profile works great for this. Redefine the automatic cut in customize. Use "build cut" and create or select an approach and exit axis. I use this most often when I want to circle mill a counterbore and have the tool plunge in the drilled thru-hole that I've already done. I created a paused mapkey many years ago to do this quickly.

Terry

Larry,

Surface 3 axis milling using Helical SCAN_TYPE and the upper and bottom
chains as closed loops in the Cut Definition manager will get the job
done. The internal walls needs to be selected as model surfaces or mill
surfaces.

STEP_OVER will control the pitch of the helical ramp motion...

The bad side: Tiny point-to-point moves in the corners...

A tip: Pro/NC will only allow you to set the SCAN_TYPE to helical after
defining the Cut Lines in the Cut Definition window.

Rgds,

Daniel

Top Tags