cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can change your system assigned username to something more personal in your community settings. X

regeneration in creo

razmosis
11-Garnet

regeneration in creo

I seem to run into a lot more prompts to regenerate in Creo that in Pro. There are some cases when using an old model from Pro in the new Creo manufacturing environment that I can regenerate, hit save, then get prompted to regenerate again. Can't shake the regenerate prompt in these situations. It will always say that the mfg needs to be regenerated if you are trying to save. Anyone have a suggestion for this?

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
13 REPLIES 13

You might check for errors. often I find issues that prevent a successful regen even though they are only yellow. Once you have the green light, it -should- save without issues. Mechanism is particularly bothersome.

It seems that I have green lights on the reference part and the workpiece. The regen even seems to work in the mfg file. However, even though all regens seem to work successfully, when I hit save - creo still tells me the mfg file is in need of regeneration.

Fortunately, this part is quite simple and the posts the file creates look good. When I run into this on a complex part, it really concerns me.

Thanks.

You might submit this to customer support for evaluation. I have seen this before and it was due to a bad constraint. Regen should catch this, but it fails from time to time.

vzak
6-Contributor
(To:razmosis)

Matt,

There are 2 related (though different) items :

1. Is the model marked regenerated or not upon opening in a new Creo version (or after certain operations). Here if you feel that "Yellow" state does appear in cases when it did not in previous releases it's a right thing to contact PTC TS.

2. Prompt to regenerate upon Save : this is just a reaction on "yellow" status when you hit Save. This behaviour is governed by an option regen_solid_before_save = prompt* . Earlier default value was No, and if saving unregenerated model does not bother you - you can set back to No. It was just a result of user complaints that we implemented this "prompt" option, since many users are really concerned on saving / putting to PDM models with such kind of problems.

razmosis
11-Garnet
(To:vzak)

Today, same issue but with parts and NC manufacturing assemblies that were created in Creo. Green light on the prt file, seemingly successful regen on the NC manufacturing assembly, but a prompt to regenerate when trying to save.

It doesn't sound like a good idea to me to turn the automatic prompt on yellow status off.

It may be possible there is a bad constraint, but I've looked this over a few times and if there is a bad constraint, it sure isn't easy to find.

Has anyone found a resultion to this? I have the same problem with regen in MFG assm and others.

Also there is no regen status on screen (lower right).

neg_regen.png

Wheelsofsteel
5-Regular Member

I am finding regeneration a problem with creo as well , specially within manufacturing, it has bitten me more than once.

I also have a reoccurring issue with features that only part fail when I replace a model, if thing completely fail, I get the red and the traiffic lights, but I use a point that has two references, the center line and a datum plane, the center line is fine, but the datum fails, but it doesn't show up as a failed feature, not red and no traffic lights.

this also has caused problems in the past,.

as far as I am concerned, if a feature has a failure, it should be red and has traffic lights.

I had sent some models to Tech Support and what they found was a missing start surface in a drill sequence. The sequence still worked and did not show red. The only indication that there was something amiss is that you could not save without getting a regeneration prompt. What I've found is that if you cannot save without the regenerate prompt, there is a missing reference somewhere - but the software will not point you in any direction as to where it is. If you look really hard, you might find it. It could be in the mfg file, or the part file. It's something like calling the NYPD to say you just saw a J walker and hanging up on them without giving a location.

SteveLucas
13-Aquamarine

That's funny Matt!!

Not really though.

Nothing like going through a machining program with 15 or 20 sequences to find something that is missing that worked yesterday but today it blows up?

This is a big source of frustration for me no matter how careful you are picking datums and surfaces for sequences it seems that one will always fail with the slightest change to the model. If it's a big program a lot of times it will just crash hard if there is something missing when coding a file rather than warning you there is a problem. They can turn features red if there is something missing in a model or an assembly why can't they do that for manufacturing too?

Steve

Wheelsofsteel
5-Regular Member

Matt

yes what I am doing is almost identical to you, it happens when I replace the model with a non related componet, instead of the family table, it looses the datum plane that I use for a start surface, but at least it is only the sweep tool, which is a peice of 19mm wire rope with a brackect on the end, it is used to sweep the wheel before the robot handling system removes it at the end of the program.

I have been lucky that when I have missed it, it is flexible enough to bend out of the way.

but still, it should show up as a failed feature like everything else, it did in Pro-E

I hate to grumble because I really think Creo is pretty awesome stuff. Maybe because I haven't seen anything else and it wasn't that long ago that I was using 2D.

That being said, if they could just highlight the sequence that is prompting the regen error rather than me going through insert mode and saving a hundred times to hunt it down - that would just make me even happier to use the product.

I've found something kind of annoying having to do with the persistent yellow dot warning. The situation is as follows:

(1) I use an angle in a relation. Even the simplest relation like d12 = d13, where both are angles.

(2) The geometry is calculated correctly, and I might even get the green dot, which implies that the model is all good and regenerated.

(3) At a later time, after saving the file and re-opening it, the yellow dot will appear and will not go away until I delete the "offending" relation.

It seems to be avoidable if the relation is in the part model and is designated as "post regeneration", but using angle-to-angle relations in the sketcher means I get the permanent yellow dot.

I have had this happened before. it seems to consider it a circular reference for some reason. Moving the relation to a "higher level" seems to fix it.

The fast that it works once and fails the next time is a real stickler with me. There are several such quirks throughout Creo. It works while it is in session, but when you close, erase and reopen, it is different.

Top Tags