1. Describe your environment: What is your industry? What is your role in your organization? Describe your stakeholders.
I'm an engineer in an engineering company. I use MathCAD to perform design calculations.
2. What version of Mathcad are you currently running?
I am running MathCAD Prime 7
3. Describe the problem you are trying to solve. Please include detailed documentation such as screenshots, images or video.
It is time consume and error-prone to enter numbers that include exponential notation. For example: 4*10^5 requires 8 keystrokes, including two shifted number-row keypresses that are easy to get wrong. 3.8*10^-5 is even worse. I've quit counting the number of times I've typed something like 3.8*10&-5.
I suggest that the UI be modified to allow "E notation" when typing numeric values, similar to that found in Excel and many, many other applications and programming language. This would allow me to type 4e5 or 4E5 into a math region and have it recognized (and expanded to) 4*10^5. Similarly, 3.8e-5 would be recognized as and expanded to 3.8*10^-5. This reduces the number of keystrokes required and removes the requirement for any shifted keystrokes. A definite win for ergonomics and the RSI-afflicted.
I can currently fake this by defining a series of variables e2:=100, e3:=1000, etc. Then typing 1e3 becomes 1*e3, with a value of 1000. But this is more than a bit clunky, and doesn't extend to negative exponents.
4. What is the use case for your organization?
The use case is to increase data entry speed and reduce keying errors
5. What business value would your suggestion represent for your organization?
This would save me at least $500*10&-4/year. Also my blood pressure would drop.