cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Learn all about PTC Community Badges. Engage with PTC and see how many you can earn! X

Autosave Functionnality in Mathcad Prime

Autosave Functionnality in Mathcad Prime

Hi, is there a way to add a autosave functionnality in Mathcad Prime new versions, thx!

12 Comments
ptc-6758562
4-Participant

I don't know how many people feel the same way but I think this is a must.  I've lost enough work and it is almost always at a time when I am under a deadline.  Including this morning.  Almost any other software has the ability to recover crashed files.  There has to be a way to do it for MathCad without hurting the functionality of the program.  I am not software developer but it would seem that it could be saved without overwriting the main file.

MikeMarcoux
11-Garnet

This should be a base feature.  It would save countless hours if we had the ability to recover lost work.  Saving often helps, but when you're focused on your work, you don't always remember to hit save. 

ptc-6758562
4-Participant

I have already commented on this above.  Just now the program shut down without warning.  While I understand that I can constantly save it is impossible to remember that all of the time and it is not even productive.  Having to re-do work undermines having this software.  If this is not fixed I will be forced to look for other software that has similar capability.

ptc-6758562
4-Participant

Hi y'all.  It's me again.  That guy that is going to keep complaining until somebody answers.  

For the umpteenth time this program crashed without any warning and I lost work.  I don't care if it is 8 hours worth of work or 15 minutes of work.  It is inexcusable that there is not some function that helps the user to retain work when the program or PC crashes.  It is inexcusable that PTC does not seem to care enough to address these comments.  The only reason I continue to re-up my subscription at this point is because I do love the software and there does not appear to be an equivalent option.  However, my patience is waning on this.  Some people may be hard wired to constantly save.  I am not.  And literally every other software I use recovers files.  Let's go PTC!

amcgough
12-Amethyst
Status changed to: Under Consideration

This is functionality we want to implement in an upcoming release.

Additionally, I'm very sorry you've (ptc-6758562) seen crash issues with your worksheets. Mathcad Prime typically prompts you to save your worksheet if a crash does occur but in some very rare cases it may not. If you have details of any of these incidents and haven't already logged them with tech support, please do - or you can also reach out to me directly here and I can get someone to see if they can replicate the issue (we generate crash logs that we can obtain from your machine to help us debug the issue).

CS_10354617
1-Newbie

New to Mathcad Prime. I was a heavy Original Mathcad user, and even that version of the program had a recovery system. It wasn't great, but at least it worked on occasion. I just lost 8 hours of work in Mathcad Prime because of no recovery feature after Prime crashed. If mathcad is going to crash, then a recovery system is absolutely required and should be PTC's utmost priority. This is the most infuriating issue I have ever experienced with an engineering software. 

CS_10354617
1-Newbie

P.S.

I'm not as worried about solving mathcad closing unexpectedly. I am far more worried about PTC including an autosave, or back up system to the Mathcad Prime ASAP.

amcgough
12-Amethyst

Hi CS_10354617,

I'm very sorry you've encountered a crash issue and lost worksheet content. Autosave will be implemented in an upcoming release - feedback like this helps us prioritize release content. As noted above, in most crash scenarios, Mathcad will prompt you to save your current worksheet, though there are some rare instances when the crash issue exits the program before that worksheet recovery step can take place. Logfiles are created when a crash occurs, if you raise a technical support issue we can use that to look into the specific problem you encountered. Or you can reach out to me via direct message and I can get one of our engineers to help you find the logfiles and information we need. 

Again, my apologies for the inconvenience caused you by the crash issue you encountered.

Many thanks,

Andy.

amcgough
12-Amethyst
Status changed to: Under Consideration

CS_10354617
1-Newbie

I forgot to save my work before leaving for the day due to other work related distractions and left the program open on a sleeping computer (yes that as stupid I admit). Upon logging in the next morning, Mathcad Prime was closed while all other programs remained open. It is possible that our bitlocker system closed mathcad or something like that (i'm not a computer guy) and without an autosave function my work was lost. Typical busy days and focused engineers who are not OCD by nature will work for hours without saving as to not break concentration/flow. For this reason it is imperative that the program saves copies at intervals in a separate defined location that can be used if the program crashes, or is closed accidently without saving. It should not just be upon a "crash" prompt. I beg for this to be a highest priority item and have this feature sooner than later. There is absolutely nothing that I experience in my career that is worse than losing hours and hours of work due to a program closing. A program with this feature is much more attractive than one without.

TomR
3-Visitor

Please add Autosave to Prime.

JH_9968047
1-Newbie

Save early and save often? What is this, 1998?

I was going through some long (timewise) calculations while still making changes to my document to make this near-final version prettier. As I was typing, I saw a dialog pop up and immediately go away - again, while I was typing - and BAM... no more Mathcad window.  My last several hours of work have to be recreated. It hasn't been since playing PC games in the 1990s that I haven't had a "restore point" for the work on the project. I saw this thread including the suggestion of raising a technical support issue.  I CAN'T!  The javascript:routeToLogger() doesn't route anywhere on Edge or Firefox when I've exhausted the suggested answers and want to engage support anyway.

We just purchased 3 licenses and it's already giving me heartburn.

Please move the autosave - which for crash recovery doesn't need to save embedded data! - from consideration to the product.  This is fundamental.

Edit - wait, what?!  Is it there?  After finding no information on crash recovery, I go to open the file from 4 hours prior and see another file with the name as a base appended by the date and time.  IT'S HERE !!!!

I would have saved time and stomach upset had there been an answer suggesting crash recovery IS available with the files saved with an appended date and time stamp.  Sincere thanks for moving it out of consideration and into the product (Mathcad prime 9.0.0.0).

...but it might be helpful to add that answer and allow a support case to be submitted.