1. Describe your environment: What is your industry? What is your role in your organization? Describe your stakeholders.
I am a structural engineer of 20 years working in the bridge and heavy construction field. I create designs for platforms, shoring towers, lifting devices, formwork, crane foundations, etc. Pretty much anything the field needs to do complex structural work. My design calculations need to be simple and easy to follow by other engineers but I do not need to take months to get them to a level of pristine publishable quality. Although I create drawings that regular field crews must be able to understand for their own safety, calculations only get circulated amongst other engineers and on rare occasions to non-technical managers and staff.
2. What version of Mathcad are you currently running?
3. Describe the problem you are trying to solve. Please include detailed documentation such as screenshots, images or video.
I commonly use vectors to work on different scenarios simultaneously. For example, my input and output of one of my sheets is:
So all the intermediate equations are vectorized math. Some equations work fine without but most times I need to add the vectorization arrow (Ctrl-Shift-^) or supply the actual element number:
I would really like an option or better yet a global variable called "VECTORIZATION" so that everything is transparent to the reviewer:
This option would make all calculations vectorized by default. Seeing arrow on most formulas makes it harder to understand and annoying.
Users who would want this option would rarely need to mix with regular matrix/vector handling so in those cases using the vectorization arrow would work fine.
4. What is the use case for your organization?
Not really my organizations initiative.
5. What business value would your suggestion represent for your organization?
Simpler looking calculations for structural engineers who want to use lists of data for their calculations.