1. Describe your environment: What is your industry? What is your role in your organization? Describe your stakeholders. I am an analysis engineer working in the nuclear industry. I create calculations that need to be easy to read by my colleagues and the clients that my company serves.
2. What version of Mathcad are you currently running? Mathcad Prime 8
3. Describe the problem you are trying to solve. Please include detailed documentation such as screenshots, images or video. In Mathcad 15 it was possible to use the search and replace functions with variable names that contained subscripts. For example to search for the variable M with a subscript of say box, I would type M.box into the search box. However in Mathcad Prime 8, to the best of my knowledge, it is not possible to search for variables containing subscripts in the same way. If I copy and paste the same variable name into the search box I get “(@LABEL VARIABLE (@ID M (@SUB box)))” which cannot be found.
4. What is the use case for your organization?
This affects all reports written by my team which often run into several hundred pages. Variable names in calculations are often given subscripts based on the load case or material of the component being assessed. Therefore material changes or additional load cases etc as the design evolves often necessitate variable names to be changed for consistency.
It also often saves time to copy and paste existing standard calculations (often from another document for which tiled windows would be beneficial) into our reports and then change the variable names as appropriate. This would be much easier if find and replace was capable of handling the variable names.
5. What business value would your suggestion represent for your organization? Implementing this change would save my team a lot of time when writing reports and would also help significantly with preventing errors as currently finding all instances of a variable containing a subscript is difficult.